In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good investment

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well with school and what not going on I needed a hobby. Bow hunting became it. I am planning on working alot this summer and to save up, all I will really spend money on is gas [:(]. Hopefully will have enough by the end of summer to buy a new bow...so okay guys, lets hear what ya have to say? I have narrowed it down to three:

1) Hoyt- I love how they look, like the weight, and they seem durable.
2) Matthews- what is there not to like? Everyone uses one and its probobly the most popular!
3) Bowtech- Ran into a pro shooter with one and he let me shoot it, it was like a knife through butter...they're sweet.

I'd like input on what type model and what year of the model you shoot...thanks guys! happy hunting!!!

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I have a 2006 BowTech Tribute and I love it!

You should look at the new Commanders.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Hoyt for the balance of it. I don't like the large Mathews grip, although they are much better on the DXT than past models. Not much experience with BT, but if I were to pick a new '08 bow it would be a Katera XL.
  • Options
    pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been shooting Hoyt bows for around 8 years now. I started with the Reflex line and currently shoot a Vtec that I bought new back in Jan 2005. I love it. Yes it is heavier, and longer axle to axle, but I shot it side by side with the new bowtechs and mathews respectively and the Hoyt feels the best for me.

You really have to shoot them all and then decide. Buy the bow that feels the best and not the "brand new wiz bang 400 fps guarantee to take a Pope and Young" model. Your new bow is quite an investment. Have fun picking one out.

Pre
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have "2" 2005 Switchbacks..one is 70lb the other is 60lb
    and a 2006 Switchback XT.70lb
    2006 Mathews Prestige 60lb
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    theres an archery shop down the road from school where I shoot. They have a 06 vectrix, used, for 300. Atleast they did it might not be there anymore. So I'm either gonna go hoyt or matthews. I love the vectrix and the switchback,...decisions decisions.[:p]
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A.Gun
    theres an archery shop down the road from school where I shoot. They have a 06 vectrix, used, for 300. Atleast they did it might not be there anymore. So I'm either gonna go hoyt or matthews. I love the vectrix and the switchback,...decisions decisions.[:p]

Flip a coin, you can easily kill any deer with either one.
    That is if you can find the deer.[B)]
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does everyone else in your area shoot? If it is Mathews, then buy the Hoyt. Thursday night 2 times someone grabbed the wrong bow thinking it was theirs... One went up to the line to shoot and did not hit what he thought he would, the other went home with someone else's bow! That will never happen to me... I'm the only one shooting a Hoyt!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot hoyt, I like them, they fit my style. However, the switchback was and still is the quietest bow that I have ever seen. If I needed a new bow, I would be looking for a good used one as a choice. The Vectrix is a pretty sweet bow too though!
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I'm in the "go shoot them and see what you like" crowd. If I was in the market I would look at, Bowtech- General, Mathews-DXT, Hoyt-Katera, Diamond-Black Ice and Marquis, and probably if I could find one I'd like to try the new limbsaver bow. Those are the ones I would shoot before deciding what to purchase. Oh and a post I just saw reminded me of the Ross line. I'd like to try them also