In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

insert insertions?????

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
hi, my question is i have been putting inserts in by heating them and rolling them in ferrel tite but is that the best way for carbons. it seems like some of them i can pull them out if i pull really hard. my gun shop has been cutting arrows and installing inserts for years, not that many(15-20 dozen a year) but even though no one has complained or anything i just would like to know if there is a better method i should be using.

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can always use permanent glue such as AAE glue, goat tuff, the bohning insert glue, Easton epoxy or the cheaper method that I have used is loctite 2 part epoxy. Thats for carbons. I use standard hot glue for aluminum arrows. Carbons don't seem to like the heat that it takes to get a proper hot melt glue to work. More glue is not always the best.

Here is my method for hot melt. I have an old field point that I use just for this purpose. I insert the field point in the insert I am going to put into the arrow. I grab the field point with locking pliers(vise grips), then heat up the insert hot enough for glue to melt on it, I then quickly insert with heating the field point. With aluminums I will slightly heat the arrow.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem inserts pulling out I now use the one minuite two part epoxy * if you are going to allin broadheads nows the time to do it...