In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Inherited compound bow.

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
A few years back I inherited a Bear compound bow, from my father.
He is still with us, but has a bad elbow and could not shoot it, so he got a medical crossbow permit.
I brought it in today to get restrung and cleaned up.
I should have it back next week and I will have until October 1, 2008 to get hunting deer with it or I will get to the point that I say I am not good enough to hunt with a bow.
I may have some questions and I apologize if they may sound dumb, but I have never seriously shot a bow before, much less hunted with one.
Thanks for putting up with me.
DSM

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Well nock an arrow and get down to bussiness. we will be happy to help you out. welcome to the addiction... feel free to ask questions and dont be embarassed there are no stupid questions! Just a learning curve.. who know's you may turn out to be one of the best. but ya can't win if ya don't play..[;)]
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    may not be no dumb questions but may get a few dumb answers j/k[:D] welcome and enjoy
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    We will all try our best to get you totally addicted. We will try to help you all the way. But at times we, ie me, will be be an * just to screw with you. You have the right attitude as wanting to shoot as much as you can with it to get good with it to successfully make a humane killing shot on a deer. On that I applaud you. Start shooting, keep shooting, put up with the B.S. here, and you will learn enough and be good enough to take a deer. Good luck to you and welcome to the addiction.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Be careful.........

......It really is an addiction..

Ask away, we'll do our best to help you out.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a ton to learn about tuning a bow to shoot properly.
    Find someone to watch you shoot and to help you learn how to tune it. That is the best way if possible.
    Once you've done that practice,practice,practice...
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Don't shoot carbon arrows with any damage to them. Never dry fire your bow. If you do, and it doesn't fly into a million pieces, don't shoot it again. It's important to make certain your arrows are of the appropriate size, and weight.

Arrow ricochets are dangerous when shooting in town.

Don't stick your index finger out on your bow hand, or someday a broadhead might take it clean off.

Don't unscrew your limb bolts out too far, or they may come out completely. Don't over tighten your limb bolts, or you may damage your limbs or riser, making your bow a timebomb.

That's all I got.

Have fun![:D]

Ben
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its a disease, I'm afraid its terminal, they call it archeritis. Its actually not that bad [^] Welcome to it!!!
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    Don't shoot carbon arrows with any damage to them. Never dry fire your bow. If you do, and it doesn't fly into a million pieces, don't shoot it again. It's important to make certain your arrows are of the appropriate size, and weight.

Arrow ricochets are dangerous when shooting in town.

Don't stick your index finger out on your bow hand, or someday a broadhead might take it clean off.

Don't unscrew your limb bolts out too far, or they may come out completely. Don't over tighten your limb bolts, or you may damage your limbs or riser, making your bow a timebomb.

That's all I got.

Have fun![:D]

Ben

Great Ben, now the gun grabbers are gonna go after our bows.[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all, I will let you folks know when I get it back and get to shooting it.
    Thanks again,
    DSM
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If by-chance its an old Bear "Whitetail" Compound with fiberglass limbs and a steel riser, It'll do fine for ya. I still have the one around that I got for a x-mas present when I was 14 years old{it will be 30 years old this year}. A bit noisy and not much let off but will still kill with a good shot![;)]..If it's a Bear recurve? even better![:D]

Good-Luck and Enjoy![8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    If by-chance its an old Bear "Whitetail" Compound with fiberglass limbs and a steel riser, It'll do fine for ya. I still have the one around that I got for a x-mas present when I was 14 years old{it will be 30 years old this year}. A bit noisy and not much let off but will still kill with a good shot![;)]..If it's a Bear recurve? even better![:D]

Good-Luck and Enjoy![8D]

It is still at the shop getting restrung, but I will post some picture of it when I get it back.
    I'm not 100%, but I think it is a "whitetail".
    DSM
  • Options
    deerkiller1531deerkiller1531 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    have patients and get the best equiptment you can for and have fun. Bow hunting is growning so fast and archery is a very addicting once you get started enjoy any questions i can assist
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Should be picking it up this week, now I gotta stop at the feed store and get myself a few bails of hay.
    I'll post pictures when I pick it up.
    DSM