In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Practice distance?

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
What distance should I start practicing at?

Yesterday my wife brought me home three bails of hay.
It was a nasty rainy day but I could not help myself, I wanted to take some shots.
I punched a hole in a couple of 5" paper plates, ran a string through them and tied them to the bails of hay.
I stepped back to 25' from the hay and with 5 arrows I took ten shots.
I was about 5" high and about 3" to the right, but all ten shots where within 5" of each other.
I am thinking of setting my sights for 25', 50' and 75' and then practicing at the 75' distance.
My thinking is that it would be harder to hit the bulls-eye at 75' and that would force me to work harder.
Any thoughts?
DSM

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Start at 10 or 20 yards and work back. I don't shoot over 40 yards and most the time I shoot 30 yards.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Make it your mission to keep all of your arrows in a silver dollar at 30 yards.

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    Maybe I can make it outside for lunch. [:D]
    It's a bummer having to work for yourself. [:D]
    DSM
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are hitting high, raise your sight. For the right move the pin right. You always follow the arrow impact with your sight pin to sight your pin in. I too would suggest at 10 or 20 yard starting point, or your pins will be too close and seeing between them difficult.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ten yards, or less. Dont worry to much about elevation, but do fix the windage adjustment. If you are hitting right, adjust your sights right.
    wHEN GETTING A CONSISTEN GROUP, TAKE FIVE STEPS back. When you are comfortable at that distance, take five more steps, and so on, until you reach 25 yards. Practice at twenty five, but continue practicing closer shots. Once you get to twenty five, adjust your elevation.
    Practice A LOT at 25 and under, dont go above twenty five yards until your form is consistent, and your poi is consistant.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Ten yards, or less. Dont worry to much about elevation, but do fix the windage adjustment. If you are hitting right, adjust your sights right.
    wHEN GETTING A CONSISTEN GROUP, TAKE FIVE STEPS back. When you are comfortable at that distance, take five more steps, and so on, until you reach 25 yards. Practice at twenty five, but continue practicing closer shots. Once you get to twenty five, adjust your elevation.
    Practice A LOT at 25 and under, dont go above twenty five yards until your form is consistent, and your poi is consistant.

Check. Thanks.
    DSM
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    shoot at 20 yards and stick to it till u can put all your arrows touching at that distance then move to 25 30 ext
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I work in feet, pace in feet and estimate in feet as part of my chosen profession, I just cannot think in yards.
    Twenty four years of feet is hard to beat.
    I am shooting at fifty feet and will stick with that until I can hit that consistently.
    Thanks all.
    DSM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by phideaux4886
    I work in feet, pace in feet and estimate in feet as part of my chosen profession, I just cannot think in yards.
    I am shooting at fifty feet and will stick with that until I can hit that consistently.
    Thanks all.
    DSM

understand, for estimating though, I would think yards would be easier. 3 ft to 1 yrd "roughly" 1 step/stride whatever you wanna call it is "roughly" 3 ft or 1 yrd. So if your estimating, 20 steps from your target would be about 20 yrds. Whatever works for you is what matter though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:Originally posted by phideaux4886
    Thanks all.
    DSM

understand, for estimating though, I would think yards would be easier. 3 ft to 1 yrd "roughly" 1 step/stride whatever you wanna call it is "roughly" 3 ft or 1 yrd. So if your estimating, 20 steps from your target would be about 20 yrds. Whatever works for you is what matter though.

Well, the thing of it is, I can pace 1000' on flat land and be within a couple of feet.
    When I pace I count five everytime I plant my right foot.
    I can also estimate distances and often be within a few feet on shorter distances.
    When someone tells me 30 yards I have to convert it to feet to be able to visualize it on the ground.
    I've been in land surveying since 1984 and I'm to old to try to retrain my brain.[:D]
    DSM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sweet, where you at, I need some land surveyed [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    sweet, where you at, I need some land surveyed [:D]

Not in Illinois, but if you have land in Louisiana, maybe I can help.
    [;)]
    DSM