In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New toy at work

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
Monday I am bring my broadheads to work. We got a Cryogentic machine and we are testing it out. We ran one load today and I put my Allen wrenches in and some parts for air tools. When I mentioned that I wished that I had my broadheads I was told that to bring them Mon. I'm also bring in my chainsaw chain.

For those that don't know a Cryo takes it down to 300 below then, 300 above and then does this for 3 cycles I believe.

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I have a better idea: Why don't you grab a couple of your rifle barrels? like your 10/22(everybody has one of those), and cryofreeze them!!!

Ben
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother has had his T/C barrels done.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh the fun of changing material particle sizes. [:D]

You probably won't see any difference in your broadheads as they will still be a one use item.

Your chainsaw on the other hand, depending on the material, should see some change in life expectancy.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I thought about gun barrels but, I don't want to screw up a good thing. We are at the beginning stages of this and I don't have a lot of info on the pros and cons of the process. And Ben, between my 13 year old son and I we have 3 10/22's and 1 10/22 mag.

On the broadhead side of it, I tend to dull them by putting them in and out of my quiver.[:D] They are a one use item but any little bit might help.

On the chainsaw, the place where we bought it from said that one of their guys cuts alot of wood. He could go 3 times longer with the cryo chains.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

On the chainsaw, the place where we bought it from said that one of their guys cuts alot of wood. He could go 3 times longer with the cryo chains.

I very much believe that. From what I have studied of cryo it has its advantages and ZERO disadvantages. Meaning that it doesn't always work all that well. It really depends on the material to begin with,, how closely packed the lattice structure is, and what type of lattice structure the material has.

I can imagine your chainsaw is probably made out of a harden allow steel, probably in the 4000 series. Maybe its a tool steel of some sort, but I would highly doubt it. With out looking it up, I would guess that hardened 4000 series metal have a cubic lattice. Hardening brings the particles closer together, but you have to anneal it in order to give it any sort of toughness, this would bring the particles farther apart. Cryo treating it would bring those partials closer, but still have the toughness need. Creating a longer edge life for the chain.

I wish I would have done some experiments at my last job with carbide. A company called 300 Below claimed an increase in carbide tool life. Carbide is already one of the most densely packed materials that I know of, and they said they could bring those partials closer together for better tool life. Whether this was better tool life due to the carbide cooling better or if it actually helped keep an edge I don't know.

As far as gun barrels. It will relieve stress in the barrel and bringing those partials closer together will help the barrel cool. Will it be noticeable? Thats still debatable. I haven't seen a gun barrel made, but I do know about the process and there is a tremendous amount of stress that is introduced by cutting tools. Relieving this stress can not be a bad thing.

What I do know though, is that cryoed aluminum will with out a doubt moved heat through the material faster.