In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Turkey hunting

buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
Anybody had any luck yet?

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Doe's anyone turkey hunt,,, I never have but got the itch to keep hunting this year so I may give turkey a try with the bow... any body else???
    edited November -1
    What are some recommendations for turkey hunting with a bow? Indiana has just now started a fall turkey season where you're allowed to use a bow for a longer period than firearms. How many #s do you recommend? Would a recurve be sufficient?
  • huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be out as much as possible...I always try a morning or two with my bow...Good Luck!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I've only drawn a spring tag once. But I do keep my slate and other calls with me in the fall when you can buy them over the counter.
    edited November -1
    yea we have nofall season just a spring.. lots of birds around I see them in fields all the time. Iknow now try to get close to one[:o)]
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I love to turkey hunt. It is like hunting the rut, except it lasts the whole season.
    Nothing like having a turkey gobble in answer to your calls!
    I will also try to fill one of my tags (we get 3 here in GA) with a bow. It takes a special kind of patience to shoot a turkey with a bow.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I'm going on a bow turkey hunt next month in Kansas. Supposed to be turkeys by the bagillions. I need to practice.

Ben
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    I'm going on a bow turkey hunt next month in Kansas. Supposed to be turkeys by the bagillions. I need to practice. well get to it ya redneck..[:D]

Ben
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It's cold & wet outside.

Ben
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live to hunt turkey lol. I love it, imagine the thrill of an archery hunt with a deer that will talk back...nothing like it. Buckey if you have any questions fire away man, I would make a recommendation in buying some blind material and carry it with you or buy a pop-up blind that you can draw a bow in. other than that good luck!!!

P.S. Get a decoy or two, they're deadly!!!
    edited November -1
    Im gonna try the buckey treestand method.. I could have shot many out of the treestand while deer hunting so I'm gonna mess around, I could be all wet on this one or NOT.. any thoughts
  • hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got rights to hunt 400-600 acres that a buddy of mine has. We are going to try and get a Turkey in a few weeks. I don't have much experience in this, but we are going to give it a shot. I don't know anyone that turkey hunts so I will have to learn the hard way.

I also have deer hunting privilages on this property and it is covered up with deer! My buddy is going to get into hunting this year as well. It is nice to bring someone else into the sport. We will be getting him a bow set-up in the next few months.

Any tips for the beginners are very welcome
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a permenant stand near a roosting area. Many times I have thought about climbing up in it. Only problem is most of the time when they go quiet and you can't hear one then youy need to find some acorns or a field. I think you can kill one from a treestand, I just would hate carrying one in and out just to turkey hunt lol.
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buckeyboy,

Turkey hunting is a blast. I've been hunting them for yrs. Several yrs ago I decided I wanted to get one with the bow. I spent countless days in the woods only to get busted time and time again. Three years went by like this with no luck. Then 3 yrs ago I got a "pop up" blind and Ive gotten my limit(2birds here in NY) every year since. They run right up to the thing, I don't even wear camo inside. If you really want to get one with the bow this is the way. I use the "outhouse" blind. Plenty of room to draw. I even set up a camcorder inside on a tripod.[:p]
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ummm...doesn't my id answer that question? absolutely addicted... i'm supposed to be a judge for the ohio state calling championship next weekend.
  • phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have private land that we live on/lease and we have seen a few hens, but never heard or seen any gobblers.
    I'm not ready to try with a bow, but I will be heading out there this weekend with a 12 gauge and some blow up decoys and make my first ever turkey hunt.
    We have the 15th and 16th on private land and then on the 22nd it opens up for a month, so I am going to try and make a few hunts.
    DSM
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'll be heading out for turkey season starting april 12th.

i can't wait!!! [:D]