In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Broadheads

jared2678jared2678 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Trying to get some opinions on the best broadheads out there. They need to fly like my field points. I am using Spintite Black Mambas that I have had for a couple years and thinking of going to a fix blade.

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Fixed blade I don't have much experience with. I will be trying the Magnus stinger this coming season though.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    jared - Unfortunately, the only real way to determine if a fixed blade is going to fly like your field points is to shoot them.
    I am using Muzzy 3-blades right now, but I just picked up some Slick Tricks at the end of last season and I will see how they fly shortly.

If you know someone else that is looking as well, you should pool your cash and buy as many different ones as you can. Shoot them all and see which ones work the best for you. Hopefully it won't be the same ones that work for your friend.[;)]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I've read, the Slick Tricks are the best available.

Fixed blades will RARELY fly like your field points.

I shot Innerloc's last year and liked em. Group pretty well, and hit hard. I shot a buck (hit high and never found him) and found my arrow buried 3" into a Black Walnut. Everything was fine, I replaced the blades to be safe and put the arrow back in my quiver.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steel Force fly great.I used Muzzy also
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I shoot Steel force Phatgeads and they fly very very close to my feild points like within a 1/4" to 1/2" but I have also paper tuned my bow
  • Options
    loadshotloadshot Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thunder head or Muzzy killed more deer with these than any other broadhead I've ever used.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Ive always shot muzzy. but I have to move my sight when shooting broadheads,, The slick tricks fly awsome likked two deer this year complete pass through.. try them you wont be sorry and the price wont kill you either..[;)]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I shoot Rocket Ultimate Steel 125 grain. They say in the Cabela's ad that they fly just like your field points. Mine shot off to the right about 2 inches. I had down loaded from the Easton site their way to paper tune, fine tune, and tune for broadheads.
    They instucted that in my instance, to move my arrow rest just a tad over to one side, I can't remember which way it said to move it. My broadheads hit where I was pointing and when I tried my field points they hit where they should also.
  • Options
    jared2678jared2678 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats the point of them saying they fly like field points if you have to adjust your sight? That defeats the purpose. I just bought some slick tricks. ONce I shoot them, I will let you know how they are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jared2678
    Whats the point of them saying they fly like field points if you have to adjust your sight? That defeats the purpose. I just bought some slick tricks. ONce I shoot them, I will let you know how they are.
    If your bow is tuned right I can gaurentee the tricks will hit in the same place as your field tips... cant wait to hear your response...they are an awsome head..
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not found a head I could not shoot spot on with my field points. Then again I have not tried too many. I have used the old style 3 blade Muzzy, Slick Tricks, Magnus Snuffers, Stingers, and Razorcaps with great flight on them all. I want to see if there is anything I can't fly with my setup.
  • Options
    NUguyinCrewNUguyinCrew Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did find some I liked for flying like field points. G5 Montec's are a 3 blade, solid body broadhead which seemed to be pretty on for me BUT they whistle like a train when you shoot so I went to expandables.
  • Options
    Troy EvansTroy Evans Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jared2678
    Trying to get some opinions on the best broadheads out there. They need to fly like my field points. I am using Spintite Black Mambas that I have had for a couple years and thinking of going to a fix blade.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RAGE Broadheads.com
    These are the most DEVISTATING broadheads out there,I have tried about every broadhead out there. They leave impact wounds up to as large as 6" wide. I shot 5 deer this last season with my crossbow, not one deer went farther than 80yds, 2 of them didn't even take a step, NO TRACKIN' NO DRAGGIN'!!!
    P. People
    E. Eating
    T. Tasty
    A. Animals
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Troy Evans
    RAGE Broadheads.com
    These are the most DEVISTATING broadheads out there,I have tried about every broadhead out there. They leave impact wounds up to as large as 6" wide. I shot 5 deer this last season with my crossbow, not one deer went farther than 80yds, 2 of them didn't even take a step, NO TRACKIN' NO DRAGGIN'!!!
    P. People
    E. Eating
    T. Tasty
    A. Animals

They are a great head but way over priced. Especially with the one time use. If they would do something different to replace the blades it would be a better head. With the set screw taking the force of the blades the threads get all messed up and you can't replace the blades. I used them this past season and like you said the holes are big but not worth the price to me for one use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ive tried both and personally prfer the slick trics, and they are priced right give em a try if you dont like em Ill buy em..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Ive tried both and personally prfer the slick trics, and they are priced right give em a try if you dont like em Ill buy em..

I keep hearing a lot about these slick tricks. I wanted to try a fixed 2 blade but I think I will give the slick tricks a try instead.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I keep hearing a lot about these slick tricks. I wanted to try a fixed 2 blade but I think I will give the slick tricks a try instead.
    You gotta try them they fly great and look like they would not do damage but man they hammer deer.. I think the profile of the head offers very little resistance they seem to blow right through..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have had only one of the rage broadheads get busted up to where I couldn't replace the blades, due to spine shot. I have one broadhead that has taken 3 deer without replacing the blades, just a quick sharpening and back to my quiver,
    I do agree they are a little pricey, but I hunt the great state of Ohio,and when the opportunity for another 300lb bruiser comes along AGAIN!! It will be well worth the extra Money, Ask the 189" 14 point on My wall. My book it's money well spent. I will take a look at the broadheads mentioned by other memmbers, some I have not heard of. always looking for a great way to knock down a Whitetail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have had only one of the rage broadheads get busted up to where I couldn't replace the blades, due to spine shot. I have one broadhead that has taken 3 deer without replacing the blades, just a quick sharpening and back to my quiver,
    I do agree they are a little pricey, but I hunt the great state of Ohio,and when the opportunity for another 300lb bruiser comes along AGAIN!! It will be well worth the extra Money, Ask the 189" 14 point on My wall. My book it's money well spent. I will take a look at the broadheads mentioned by other memmbers, some I have not heard of. always looking for a great way to knock down a Whitetail.

Quit holdin out on us man! Where's the picks??? [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yea man thhe pix the pix like slick tricks
    DSC00754.jpg
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting Thunderhead 100's since I was 10 (17yrs). They fly great out of any bow I've ever had. I've tried the mechanicals and wouldn't shoot them at anything that I really wanted to kill. I stick with whats RELIABLE. There are too many things that can go wrong with mechanicals. If I had to switch I would shoot Muzzys. Just my .02
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done some testing with the Rage and the problem I have found is the inability to replace the blades. Also I was not able to sharpen them in place to my satisfaction so then they were relegated to small game arrows. By the way they kill a pheasant or squirrel just as good as a deer.

In case some don't know what I am talking about here are a few pictures I took of some used heads.

New and ready to shoot.
    70db46e6.jpg

Open Yes this is a used head that I tried to remove the screw. You can see how far it came out before jamming up in the head and stripping out the allen head.
    828befe6.jpg

The offending screw placement
    0459918e.jpg

One time use on the screw
    a3085540.jpg

My newest expedition was to drill out the screw and put in a roll pin instead and that seems to work. I will keep you posted on this.