In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sons new bow

Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
Well we didn't get to shoot the Techno Hunt at Draves because there were people waiting to do it. While we were there I was looking at the bows with my 13 year old son. He is very big for his age, 6', 150lbs. The guy working there comes over and asked if we needed help. I told him that I was wanting to get my son a bow. This came as a big surprise to my son. I told him what I was wanting to spend and we settled on the PSE Stinger. It has parallel limbs and is a heck of a bow for the money. When he was shooting it, it seemed pretty fast.
They took my Mathews LX in on trade. I had a number that I wanted for the stripped bow and that is where they hit.
I know what I paid for the LX fully loaded but I had stripped the quiver for my BowTech, and the sights and the arrow rest from it went on his new bow.
I probably could've gotten what I paid for it somewhere else but then I would have still needed to buy sights and a rest for his bow so I feel good about the deal.

Like my buddy said, "When you buy shoes you can look at the fact that you bought one shoe for $70 and they gave you the other for free or that you paid $35 for each shoe.
He also said that no matter what I paid for Will's new bow and what I think I might have lost on the trade in, it will not matter the least bit when he calls on the radio saying that he just stuck one.
I am looking forward to him shooting with me. If he hunts this year fine. If he doesen't no big deal either. As long as he is shooting with me I will be happy.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well it is 10 outside with the wind blowing around 20-30. We just got in from him shooting. He only shot about 18 times before he finally admitted that it was too cold and that he couldn't feel his left hand. [:D]
    He might just be hooked.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    haha

I am wearing shorts and sandals and got in from fishing a few hours ago.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    haha

I am wearing shorts and saddles and got in from fishing a few hours ago.

Oh yeah........well.............. I have no comeback for that.
    It was 45 yesterday but dang, it is brutal today.

BTW, what the hell are you wearing a saddle for? Sounds kinky.[;)][:D]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

BTW, what the hell are you wearing a saddle for? Sounds kinky.[;)][:D]

i can't spell [:I]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Thank you for not posting pictures of the saddle, I'm guessing ben or I would have to have deleted it anyway. [:D]

Chief, Cool deal man!!!!! I can't wait for that day myself. Keep us posted on his progress. I'm bettin' he'll be huntin with ya this year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well we just got done shooting another 18 shots. It is 14 out now. He is having good groups but they are going to the right tonight. We are out of adjustment to make it go left with the sights. Any suggestions? I'm hoping that when he gets more comfortable shooting it and it gets at least to the 30's it might have an impact on where the arrows wind up. But right now, if his shots still group right, I will be and am open to suggestions.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway
    Well we just got done shooting another 18 shots. It is 14 out now. He is having good groups but they are going to the right tonight. We are out of adjustment to make it go left with the sights. Any suggestions? I'm hoping that when he gets more comfortable shooting it and it gets at least to the 30's it might have an impact on where the arrows wind up. But right now, if his shots still group right, I will be and am open to suggestions.

Is he shooting "open-hand" or is he gripping the bow? If he is gripping, that could be the problem (torque). If not, the string could be hitting his coat as well.

Oh, BTW, good job Dad! I am sure that you will have many years of enjoyment from that one purchase.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

Is he shooting "open-hand" or is he gripping the bow? If he is gripping, that could be the problem (torque). If not, the string could be hitting his coat as well.

Oh, BTW, good job Dad! I am sure that you will have many years of enjoyment from that one purchase.

He is gripping. I put him a sling on and taught him tonight the open hand. With it being 15 out and him wearing gloves and also not used to shooting, he did worse open handed. I am hoping that he can get used to shooting than we can work more on the form. I know that it is easier to start out right than try to break bad habits but I know that it will just take time. What's a few more holes in the garage siding anyway.[:D] the biggest thing is he is hitting to the right. I would think that if he were pulling, he would be hitting left?? Any thoughts.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say it is in the grip. Some how he is twisting the bow enough to throw the arrows that far off.

I would have him shoot through paper with the bow. You should be able to tune the rest to how he shoots the bow if you can't get him to change his grip.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, we both shot tonight. It was 20 degrees warmer than it had been. I figured that the break in trading shots would help him. I told him to shoot open handed and we would see what happened. He had some to the right still but he grouped 3 to the left to where they were almost touching.
    I moved the sights and we shot again. Same thing. I think that he almost has it down. The last shots he was grouping all 6 a little better and none were going as far right as they were. We will see what tomorrow brings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well tonight it was awesome. We both shot and we had all but one in a 5" circle. I did take a pic. of them but it was with a film camera. We don't have a digital. When I get the pics developed I will post them. He is coming along very nicely.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]scan0002.jpg
    Here is my bow on the left and his is on the right. I somehow lost the pic of our arrow group somewhere on my puter. I might try to find it later.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    cool now buy a new camera..