In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tell me about Illinois

pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
Hey everyone. Rumor has it I might be taking over the Chicago territory as of July 1st, therefore the wife, daughter and I will be leaving our beloved Ohio to move to Illinois or Southern Wisconsin.

I tried to find some info on Public Hunting spots in Illinois, but I couldn't pin point anything... Maybe it was due to late night 'net surfing [:)]

Anyway, we are looking into the Rockford area or the Zion area.

Well as the thread says.. tell me about deerhunting in Illinois, or Wisconsin.

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don,t think so. According to my maps, Zion is along Lake Michigan next to the Illinois Beach State Park, just north of Waukegan.

Seems that houses are pretty reasonable there.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    honestly, if I was that far north, and it didn't have much affect on my commute, I'd be a resident of wisconsin.

we have good hunting/fishing in illinois, but up north I'd bet the competition would be huge on public ground.

wisconsin has a healthier government...hell, right now illinois can't even afford to pay the highway dept to pick up road debris, and mow ditches.

Ben
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    North west Illinois is alright but your headed to a heavily populated area. I just came thru just far enough south of Chicago that I could see it but was mostly in the burbs and I couldn't stand the traffic. If i ever go back up there it will be to soon. [xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hear you on the traffic. We are really looking into the Rockford area. Seems you are far enough away from the city that housing is affordable and you actually have grass in your front yard. Besides, Iowa isn't to far away and it looks to be pretty rolling hills just west of Rockford.[:)]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    lots of gay hunters from what I have seen[}:)][:D][:D]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pre6422hornet
    I hear you on the traffic. We are really looking into the Rockford area. Seems you are far enough away from the city that housing is affordable and you actually have grass in your front yard. Besides, Iowa isn't to far away and it looks to be pretty rolling hills just west of Rockford.[:)]

West might be ok honestly I can't remember what the Freeport area is like. And working off memory here(which could be a bad thing) I think south west of Rockford might be an ok area. Still more populated than I like but thats just my personal preference. I remember it is rolling like you said and I think I recall lots of ag fields, dairy (the only reason I half way know the area) and some decent woods. I used to be up there once a month drawing blood on dairy herds. I remember the Mt. Carroll and Pearl city area had some good timber but that might be farther west than you wanna travel.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides Cedar point, what will you even miss about the area? [:D]

I am originally from Ohio.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Besides Cedar point, what will you even miss about the area? [:D]

I am originally from Ohio.

I will miss being away from our family. My whole family is within 30 minutes of us now, and my wifes is within 2 hours. My friends. I will miss being only 1.5 hours from my treestand/farm. In 14 years of bowhunting I have only been on stand once where I didn't see a deer, and I average 30-40 days of bowhunting a year. A very special and spectacular place to hunt.

I have only been to Cedar Point once in my life..( too many people for me)

I will miss being only 30 minutes from Lake Erie and some of the best smallmouth, walleye, perch fishing there is. My 18ft Tracker Targa will miss it. Although I am sure Lake Michigan is pretty good also.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    honestly, if I was that far north, and it didn't have much affect on my commute, I'd be a resident of wisconsin.

we have good hunting/fishing in illinois, but up north I'd bet the competition would be huge on public ground.

wisconsin has a healthier government...hell, right now illinois can't even afford to pay the highway dept to pick up road debris, and mow ditches.

Ben

+1
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    lots of gay hunters from what I have seen[}:)][:D][:D]

That why you keep coming back to see us?[}:)]
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    West of rt 47 is best and the farther the better. The Rockford/N. central Illinois area has a high concentration of CWD deer but the hunting is good IF you can find private land.[:(]