In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Toxic Venison ?

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
Hey guys & gals.

I just found an untapped hunting area near my home. It is crawling with game because it does not get hunted at all. It is in a bow hunting only zone because it is near a large city area. Access is difficult however I have found a safe way in.

The question I have is that this area is very near an old covered land fill (Garbage dump). The deer feed on the grass all night long right on top of this landfill. Do you think this will cause poor tasting venison or worse, toxic venison ?
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I doubt it. That stuff is monitored by the EPA pretty extensively. You could probably find public reports. I'd shoot deer there, and eat them.

Ben
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its already filled in it has some type of shell over the garbage. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably be some real good meat. Think about it this way. We make compost for our gardens,out of what? Garbage,yes household trash food scraps yard waste ect then let it rot. The deer will be eating the heathy vegitation not the trash. Go for it!![:p]
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been capped for about 15 years. It is covered with grass and gets mowed several times year. It has vents spaced out all over the top. I guess it will be fine. I an definitly planning on hanging a few stands there in a few weeks.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say that time is on your side as is the EPA ... go hunting and bring home the bacon ... that is bring home the venison!
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used to hunt over an old pottery dump, the deer practically ran throught the stuff. Doubt anything was ever wrong, maybe grow a few bigguns' thats about it.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    If you eat it and grow big green ears. let us know[:D][:D] I would say the deers liver would filter out any toxins if there were any[;)]