In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Silenceing a bow.

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Would the experts here enlighten me on the best way to silence my bow?

I have a Bear split limb, solo cam, Aluminum riser.

Lots of noise.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SDeadeyeSDeadeye Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First check everywhere for loose screws or anything that can rattle or buzz, rest and sight are usually the big culprits. Then get some Limbsavers on there, they make a split limb model that work real well. On the string I use BowJax, or the spidery looking rubber silencers. They both do a good job and you don't need a bow press to put them on. Heavier arrows will quiet a bow down also, they absorb more of the energy, so less is transmitted into the bow causing vibrations. The trade off there is less speed.

Check this out for some examples http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat20078&navAction=jump&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat21424&parentType=category&parentId=cat21424 just remember putting things on your string will lose you a little speed also, but it's very little and it's worth it for the decrease in noise.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There will be a couple of ways.

1. Get your bow tuned up so its shooting its best
    2. Shoot a heavier arrow
    3. Install string silencers of some sort, I like the Limbsaver crossbow ones, yes the crossbow kind, because they are the original design, and the new design for compounds fly out.
    4. limbsavers of the limbs, whether its the stick on kind or you can get some that go in between the two limbs.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    On top of what has been mentioned I'd try an STS (Shock Terminator Suppressor) also. They seem to be a stock item on all the new bows now.

http://www.stsarchery.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    On top of what has been mentioned I'd try an STS (Shock Terminator Suppressor) also. They seem to be a stock item on all the new bows now.

http://www.stsarchery.com/

Good one Bang, i forgot about that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For those intersted:

I put some wide leg, spider legs on the string. Seems to have quited it significantly. Although I can still feel lots of vibration in the hand grip. I will, however put on some limbsaver silencers in the spilt limbs, as well as change out to a better stabilizer.

I want this bow whisper quite (as close as I can get anyway). I shoot carbons, so aluminums are out (heavier arrows).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just because you shoot carbon arrows doesn't mean there isn't a heavier arrow available for you. There also isn't anything wrong with shooting aluminum arrows.

Whats you draw length, weight, cam type, arrow length, arrow spine, and brand and model?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I got my bear to be quite finally. It has spider leggs on the strings and a set of limbsavers between the limbs. Fairly quite now.

I shoot carbon express hunter lites and 125 grain FP/broadheads.

I can get it to group 3 shots in a 2 inch circle at 10 and 30 yards, but oddly enough at 20 I can't hold it so tight.

I think it will do just fine.

Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are shooting a "lite" model arrow and using 125gr broadheads? Are your arrows not spined correctly for your set-up? Why the 125s? Glad you got the bow to quiet down some. Check into the STS as mentioned before. It will help a TON!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hivoltg
    You are shooting a "lite" model arrow and using 125gr broadheads? Are your arrows not spined correctly for your set-up? Why the 125s? Glad you got the bow to quiet down some. Check into the STS as mentioned before. It will help a TON!

I have straight veins, not the left/right.

I have allways shot 125's so that is what I have stuck to.