In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New guy needs some imput.

phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all,
I am 38 days away from my first bow hunt and I am trying to dot the Is and cross the Ts.
I've got my camo clothing, green, got my climbing stand with safety harness, got my bow, got two ropes for pulling up gear, got a strap to wrap around the tree and hang stuff from and I have dumped over 200 pounds of corn with "deer jam" over the past four weeks.
I've got deer tracks all around the feeder.
We are caretakers of an old house on 125 acres that is sort of shaped like a seven with the bottom of the seven on the south end and beyond that is nothing but swamp, camps and waterways for the next 30 miles.
The property is cut in half by a road and the house is on the north side of the road, about 800' from the northern boundary and about 800' from the western boundary that is bordered by a road.
North of this tract is another tract of about 80 acres that is rectangular in shape, with about 660' east west and the long end north-south.
My feeder is about 300' northeast of the house.
We have seen the most, by far, activity, on the east side of the house.
I believe I am getting movement from the north heading south, east of the house and then back south to the swamp and then the reverse.
I have scattered development surrounding the northern portion and development on the east side of the southern portion. Once you get to the south end it is undeveloped on both the east and west sides.
I am planning on hunting with the bow on the northern portion and with the shotgun or rifle on the south portion.
I've got the kids on my side and we are trying to convince my wife that we need to take a ride to Cabela's on Sunday.
My wife is close to agreement (I showed her some sales on women's clothing[;)]), but she wants to see what Fay is going to do.
I am looking to get a new pair of camo, knee high, non insulated, waterproof boots, some "Dead down wind" stuff and possibly a deer archery target.
I am not sure if I'll have enough for the target or if it is really necessary. I've checked out the Delta riverbottom target on line, but not really in the store.
I have a six pack of Muzzy 100 grain, three blade broadheads, the kind that you have to put together and I also have a pack of practice blades.
I am located in southeast Louisiana.
Well, if anyone has read all of this and would like to take the time to respond and give suggestions or comments I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
DSM

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/seasons/deer/

I am in area six, very close to area 1.
    Thanks again,
    DSM
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the target is real important pratice is the main tool for archery sounds like you done alot of scouting . being in the right place at the right time is the key to hunting with any weapon of choice gl to you., btw fay is going to dump a bunch of rain on us
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My wife did not want to go to Cabela's because of Fay coming our way, so I went ahead and made an online order.
    Wanna see what I got??????

Cabela's Scent-Lokr BaseSlayersT Liner Top
    Item number: 8IS - 932363
    $59.95 1 Standard Express None $59.95
    COLOR: BLACK
    SIZE: XL
    This item is in stock.

Cabela's Scent-Lokr BaseSlayersT Liner Pants
    Item number: 8IS - 932364
    $59.95 1 Standard Express None $59.95
    COLOR: BLACK
    SIZE: LARGE
    This item is in stock.

Cabela's Scent-Lokr BaseSlayersT Headcover
    Item number: 8IS - 932449
    $24.95 1 Standard Express None $24.95
    COLOR: MOSSY OAK NEW BRK-UP
    SIZE: ONE SIZE FITS MOST
    This item is in stock.

Cabela's Scent-Free Uninsulated Rubber Boots - Realtreer AP HDr
    Item number: QX - 831009
    $59.99 1 Standard Express None $59.99
    COLOR: REALTREE AP HD
    SIZE: 10
    This item is in stock.

Cabela's CamoSkinzT Unlined Gripper Dot Gloves
    Item number: IJ - 960383
    $14.99 1 Standard Express None $14.99
    COLOR: MOSSY OAK NEW BRK-UP
    SIZE: MEDIUM
    This item is in stock.

Cabela's Seclusion 3Dr Logo Cap
    Item number: 2UG - 943243
    $7.95 1 Standard Express None $7.95
    COLOR: SECLUSION 3-D
    SIZE: ONE SIZE FITS MOST
    This item is in stock.

Cabela's Whitetail 3-D Target
    Item number: IJ - 413858
    $89.99 1 Standard Express $6.00* $89.99
    This item is in stock.

Dead Down Wind ScentPreventT Kit
    Item number: QX - 418139
    $39.99 1 Standard Express None $39.99
    This item is in stock.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Practice and more practice. Know your yardage from your stand to spots in your shooting lanes and to your feeder. Practice with one of your broadheads to make sure its flying straight and its the same weight as your practice tips. Corn cover-scent might help you out too since your using it for food. I like to locate my stand so the sun is in their eyes if they look up in early season...Works for me! Good-Luck!