In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buck Fever

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Who here is willing to admit they get it?

Personally I never have got it before, during, or after the shot. I really thought it was a story, until I watched my Dad get it. He would nearly go into cardiac arrest.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    i hope he is around this fall
    bigbuck.jpg
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a mild case about 20 years ago, but I think it was related to being extremely cold from an all day tree stand hunt. The 7 pointer came down the trail to check out a scrape. He was about 12 yards from me. I could not even draw my bow because my muscles were stiff. Then my knees began to shake to the point where I almost could not stand. The buck never knew I was there and just walked off. When he left, my knees stopped shaking.
    I have killed several nicer bucks since then and never had any shakes !
    Thats my episode with buck fever [:)]
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guilty. Mostly in Archery.

Sal
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't get my hunting license until I was 15. In Ohio, you can hunt by yourself when your 15. So I bought a used bow, shot a lot and did pretty good. First day I go hunting, I drive a tractor to my spot, walk back get in the stand. I didn't know what to do in reality. But 15 minutes walk by, up walks a nice 6 pointer. I pull back and connect, little did I know I shot just below the lungs. Didn't find the damn thing after 5 hours of searching and lots of blood. After that I had buck fever so bad I didn't shoot anything for 4 years even though have chances at a some, one of which was a 150 range buck.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    when I dont get excited any more .. It's time to quit[;)]
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I get deer fever. Buck or doe doesn't matter
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

I hear you. Especially that first deer that comes into bow range at the beginning of the year. Gets the heart thumpin, and makes my breathing eratic. After that, I'm pretty calm. The first deer always gets me though.

Ben
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dude, I have to close my eyes sometimes...whether it be a spike or a monster buck. BTW hope all is well, down here in Panama City Florida with the family...gonna get my cam out next week and bait it.a.gun
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250

Same here buck, doe, rifle or handgun even the car they are all the same to me [:D]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guilty ... but I am learning to control it![:D]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    when I dont get excited any more .. It's time to quit[;)]

Same here.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I love the feeling.

I have only gotten so bad that I couldn't shoot on one occasion. It was on a great 10pt that I had way too much time to watch.
    He came in and bedded down in some high swamp grass about 55 yards away. All I could see was his rack sticking up. When he got up and started walking towards me, my right leg started bouncing up and down. It was probably because I was so keyed up that I got muscle spasms. Anyway, he stepped behind a tree and I drew. He stepped around the tree and turned straight toward me. At this point he was about 12 yards away. He just stood there for a while and I got to the point where my arms started shaking too. He finally winded me and turned and walked off. I didn't trust myself to make a good shot at that point, so I just let him walk off.
  • Options
    pre6422hornetpre6422hornet Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The day I don't get a little buck fever when I first spot antler.... Is the day they close the casket on me...
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Was in a tree stand and the temp was well below freezing with strong wind. Saw a herd of deer of about 25 just out of range and watched them for about two hours hoping one would get close enough. Finally one did. I had 11 arrows with me and shot everyone at that deer. I would miss and it would run over and smell the arrow and I would shoot again and again. I was so cold and stiff I couldn't aim well and could hardly pull the 80 pounder back. I was so cold I couldn't hardly get out of the tree stand to retreive all my arrows. Deer never got touched and we both had a good time.
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got it at the age of 10 and never got rid of it when i do will stop hunting
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    [:D]i got it real bad when I 1st started hunting at age 13 but as time went on i Got to where it did not bother me much thats when Istated bow hunting nothing like getting that close buck or doe been times I could not even draw the bow [B)][:D] thats why im getting back into it [:D][:D]
  • Options
    LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get the fever but, a big whitetail buck has definitely set my heart a flutter a time or two.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have but usually no...The longer it takes for one to open up a good clear shot for me, the more I get excited anticipating the shot and I can get a bit shakey and worked-up. Especially when I have to wait for a very long period of time... Bucks and/or does.
  • Options
    dwarneroutdoorsdwarneroutdoors Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm writing a story for Bow & Arrow Hunting about buck fever, and I'd like to talk with a few individuals who have good stories of how it has prevented them from getting a deer. I'm also looking for the best excuses/stories ever concocted for getting out of an obligation (family/work/girlfriend). If anyone is interested in sharing a good story with me, please give me a call at (517) 290-6471. If you want, I can keep your identity in the story a secret, so you don't get in trouble with a boss/wife/girlfriend.
    Thanks.
    Darren Warner