In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

getting ready

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
I brought a trail mower home from work yesterday and got my paths and trails mowed around the fields. With the floods this year I had 6' tall stinging nettle around my stands that are by the river.
With the heavy winds our old blind on top of the Metro blew apart. It was old and not made the best to begin with.
Last weekend we got her rebuilt. I over engineered it this time. There are more 2x4's in the floor and front wall than the old one had total. [;)]
I got her painted with a base coat. Hope to add some details to it this weekend.
Also, I added a funnel and a hose.[:D]
I'll post some pics later.

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the big day.
    Getting my clothes all washed.
    Getting all the gear that has been scattered from last year and turkey hunting all gathered up.
    I straightened up the butchering shed, hope it gets used plenty.
    Getting my field dressing clean up kit ready for the truck. This consists of a gallon of water with just a little bleach for hand washing, a small thing of dish soap for the same and a small tub this year. I thought the tub would be a nice addition instead of trying to pour the water over one hand, then repeating with the other. It's one of those, "why didn't I think of this before things".
    Good luck to all of youn's[:D]
    edited November -1
    Well season is just over 2 weeks away. My first goal is to get my wife a deer, so last night I made up 5 new lighted nocks for her arrows. A new stand is on order from Cabelas for her, and Broadheads from Hunthd.com. I hope it is a good season.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Your wife is going to the woods with you...that oughta make it a good season right there.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Your wife is going to the woods with you...that oughta make it a good season right there.
    FUNNY I go to the woods to get away from mine[:D]
    edited November -1
    Take her to the woods, just sit in a stand in a different tree...
    edited November -1
    Mine wants to go at least once this season with me. She's not gonna hunt but wants to go sit with me.
    edited November -1
    My friend has stories about taking his girlfriend out to the blind, but that is where the story stops or the mods will have to delete it.
    edited November -1
    mine wont make it past the mall.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    mine wont make it past the mall.

This mall? Maybe you should have a talk with her. [:D][;)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKUnv_BsdQ
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HaH![:D] Took my first wife bow-hunting with me once. She was 7 months? pregnant{pretty big}. She tripped over some barbed-wire in the dark and got wet on the way in,coughed alot and kept moving around continuosly. She didnt want to go with me anymore after that. Said I was too crabby[;)]
  • BBQGUYBBQGUY Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made lighted nocks for BBQGAL this week. Found a better light at Gander Mt. that was better than the trill light. $2.99 and seem to work better. She will get her first deer this year with a bow. Always used a rifle before. Best hunting buddy I ever had, smells alot better too. Sits still but gets cold easily.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I envy you guys that have women that will hunt with you![8D] My live-in girlfriend doesnt mind at all cooking anything I bring home, but I know she just doesnt have it in her to kill anything...
  • mot24mot24 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in the same boat as bang, last year every time I went out either rabbit or squirel hunting the wife wanted to tage along. Since it was Jan. before I started hunting (ya I'm a newbie) it was too cold for them warm blooded women[;)] If she is around, maybe I'll let her come along if I get out in the early season. Maybe some day I might be luckey enough to for her to get a bow and head out with me.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mot24
    I'm in the same boat as bang, last year every time I went out either rabbit or squirel hunting the wife wanted to tage along. Since it was Jan. before I started hunting (ya I'm a newbie) it was too cold for them warm blooded women[;)] If she is around, maybe I'll let her come along if I get out in the early season. Maybe some day I might be luckey enough to for her to get a bow and head out with me.

Welcome to the addiction and the forums!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    quote:Originally posted by mot24

Welcome to the addiction and the forums!
    welcome to the forum, My thoughts are oop's she fell out of the tree.[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I've been hanging around here for a couple months now, just trying to learn from you guys.

Good news though, I did get the wife to hunt a little bit today[:D]. Not with a bow of course, but hey it's a start. Yesterday a friend of mine brought over his thrower and we shot some clay. He came back today for opening day of dove season. After a couple of hour she came out to sit with us. A couple of minutes later a dove landed on the bank of our pond about 50 yds away. Me and her stalked closer from one angle with my friend comming from another. We got about 35yd away and he could see us, so I told her to take the shot. She missed, then I missed, then my friend missed[:(] but it was great. We only ended up with 4, but we all had a lot of fun. A lot of them were either just out of range, or over the corn field. Sorry for the long, unrealated story. I'm just a little excited. It's the best birthday I've had in a while, a new shotgun and shotting with my wife.[:D][:D] Unfortunitly, she left to go back to school a couple of hours ago, so she wont be able to have any of the spoils for dinner like I will.
    edited November -1
    Happy birthday. I shouldn't tell you bought my dove hunt today, but I will[:D] I ended up with 10, BIL and his woman got 16, Mo (aka ENOS) had 8 and Robo (aka NuGuyincrew) had 8. Not a bad day over all
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bang. Glad to see that you had a little more action than we did. I don't even think that we say that many doves today. I may head back out though. It looks like there are quiet a few flying around the pond right now. With the corn on, my place kind sucks right now, theres not a very big area where you can get a retrieve.

Oh, by the way,

Hello, my name is Tom, and I'm an addict[:D]....already
    edited November -1
    I know what you mean about the corn. I am lucky with dove action cause its all outside my back door. I just go outside with the gun and walk around the pasture. [:D] saw 25 on my power line when I left for work this morning. That was tough since I was in the truck on the way here. [;)]

Good to have you here on the forum Tom.

Sorry 'bout the hijack DCSO [:I]