In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

climbing safety suggestions

bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
I would like some way to stay attached to the tree while climbing up and getting in and out of the tree. Some of the camera man stands are around 30ft and 1 a little higher. I'm ok with 20 but 30 thats getting high. I have 3 kids to think of I wanna stay safe all the way in and out. Any ideas?

These are all stands with climbing sticks or screw in steps. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    They have pullyes that you can hook up. As you climb they will take up the slack. check mountain climbing stores... I'llsee what I can find//
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Try tis its 20 ft but you could hook up after 10 or buy two possibly they make a 30http:// www.fallguysafety.com
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made several systems last year for some high stands. We have one at 60' and no one wanted to climb that one until now. Just go to a rock climbing store and get some "rescue line". Get 10' more than the stand is high. Tie a small loop in one end and climb once to the height you want for a Max and wrap the rope around the tree, feed the end through the loop and let the rest hang to down and secure at the bottom of the tree. Tie a Prussic knot with line of aprox half the diameter of the main line and attatch your safety harness to that. The Prussic knot slides easily on the main line, but jams in a fall. Summit sells the same setup, but you can build it cheaper and get longer lengths. I would stay away from normal rope. It might hold, but then again the "rescue line" is used for life saving.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    I made several systems last year for some high stands. We have one at 60'

What the hell did you do from that stand, drop a rock on it?[:D]
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

Might as well, his Hoyt won't shoot that far[:D][:D] HAHA first dig in a while.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413

Funny man huh? The only thing I throw out of that stand is Mathews shooters!

That is one of our rifle stands. Most of my bow stands are less than 30, but all but one is over 20. And yes I use a harness every time in the tree.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******
    edited November -1

He could probably drop his bow on it. I didn't know he had a Hoyt. [:D]
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1

That is one of our rifle stands. Most of my bow stands are less than 30, but all but one is over 20. And yes I use a harness every time in the tree.

man you must be a big old boy if your going to throw my big mathews shooting butt out of a tree [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer

man you must be a big old boy if your going to throw my big mathews shooting butt out of a tree [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Could happen....