In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Writing Article About Buck Fever

dwarneroutdoorsdwarneroutdoors Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Bow Hunting and Target Archery
I'm an outdoors writing working on a story for Bow & Arrow magazine about those who get buck fever, and how it compels you to avoid familial/work responsibilities to go hunting. I'm looking for a couple individuals to interview who can give me some really good excuses they have used, or heard others use, to get them out of work or a family event, so they could go hunting. If you are interested in being interviewed, please send me an email at warnerd@michigan.gov. If you would like, I can hide your identity for the story, so you don't get in trouble with the boss/wife.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I take a family hunting trip every year.

Every year on the first day of school I would inform my instructor of the trip. When I got to college it became more problematic. Never the less, I would always inform my Professors of my vacation that took place between the last week of october, and the first week of november. As vacation approached I would again remind them that I would be gone. Now mind you that by november the semester is already more than half completed. I had one professor inform me that if I was to miss the test for a hunting trip that she would fail me. I asked her if she was opposed to fishing. She gave me a funny look, and said "well, no". I responded, "Well then, I guess I'll see you in the Spring." I took my incomplete, and did in fact see that wench in the spring. that 9 days of hunting was worth more to me than the two+ months of effort that I'd put into that class. To me, it was a no-brainer.

Ben
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    When I was a Senior in High School we had a program on the first day of the second firearm season. I wasn't for sure when I would be done so my mom made me 4 notes. Each with a different time but with the same excuse, that I had a dentist appt. When we got back to school I was so ready to get out hunting that I handed them a note in which the time had already passed. I told them I would still be able to get in.
    When I got home I was raring to go. Everyone had been home about an hour and was not looking forward to going back out too soon. It was -15 with the wind chill. When we finally made it out, I understood what they meant. I did get my 12pointer that day though. Nothing like a nice warm body cavity to warm your hands with.
  • Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best Thansgiving dinner I ever had was a can of beanie weenies and some crackers, sitting in deer camp all by my lonesome!

I didn't kill a thing that year but had a ball, spent all week by myself.

Bode