In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

filming hunts

hivoltghivoltg Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
Do any of you guys film your hunts? Do you have a camera guy or do it yourself?
If you have someone filming for you, do ya'll set up in the same tree?
If not, then how do you go about getting the "in tree interviews"
If so, how do you set up the stands and what kind of stand do you use?
What kind of equipment do you use?

Thanks for the help. We're gonna give this a try in a few days and just need some pointers to get us started

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I am starting this year with a guy that has been filming for a few years by himself. He sent some of his films into a new upcoming company and they called him and in turn he decided he needed a camera man. I found him on the net and turns out I know the guy from the archery shop I hang at. Anyway he has about $4000 wrapped up in the camera, camera arm and the backpack to get it up there. He bought the Canon GL2 and I am currently lookin at a Sony VX2100. about $2200 for the set up I'm lookin into with out cam arm and backpack. We are set up in the same tree in 9 locations and a forked tree that puts me still with in arms reach of him in another location. We used all loc on stands (Big dog cause he's also a dealer) 20' sticks and then 4 screw in steps to get to the camera man stand. They are set up for shooting right hand and the camera stand then off set. I wish I had some pics for ya but I don't.
    The links are for the cams but not where he bought his or where I'm lookin to buy from, just links I found with a quick search. The backpack I believe runs around $400.
    Team Dagger web site is not up right now but here is our sponsor and a little about Team Dagger.

http://blackwidowdeerlures.com/prostaff.asp

GL2
    http://www.broadwayphoto.com/ViewProduct.aspx?id=813128

Sony VX2100
    http://www.broadwayphoto.com/ViewProduct.aspx?id=1044024

My truck window [:D]

DSC00016-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the new gig Bang. I'll be starting on a much lower end than ya'll. I am part of a Pro Staff team that is putting together a fall DVD this season. We've gotten some pretty good sponsors so far this year, but things are really looking up for next season. I got lucky and got in on the ground floor of this deal. We're all kinda new to this and it is all geared toward weekend hunters and blue collar guys. It is very exciting!

I'm just trying to get some pointers before opening morning
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks man, I'm pretty stoked. I've videoed rodeos for my dad but this will be a little different ball game with a higher quality cam/film. Trying to get into some videography classes now to maximize my abilities but the darn classes all seem to be full now or during the day while I'm at work. Good luck to you this season!! Maybe we can share some of our experiences later on.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend does a lot of video. He does his own hunts as well as others. His advice is to get a camera arm to attatch to the tree to take nearly all the shake out of the video. He built his own and it works good, but in the end it cost the same as buying one and his weighs almost double. He is using a Canon XH A1. It shoots great HD video. He has been asked to submit content to several shows on the outdoor channel and sportsmans channel. If you have more direct questions you can contact him through www.hunthd.com . That is his internet store, but you can use the e-mail to contact him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    My friend does a lot of video. He does his own hunts as well as others. His advice is to get a camera arm to attatch to the tree to take nearly all the shake out of the video. He built his own and it works good, but in the end it cost the same as buying one and his weighs almost double. He is using a Canon XH A1. It shoots great HD video. He has been asked to submit content to several shows on the outdoor channel and sportsmans channel. If you have more direct questions you can contact him through www.hunthd.com . That is his internet store, but you can use the e-mail to contact him.

Yeah you have to have an arm to stabilize, heck I learned that just tryin to video my kids with the little sony dad has. The one my guy got is super smooth operation. 2 huge straps attach it to the tree and it has a monster base. All aluminum. I have never seen an arm like what he has and I know it was really expensive. I think in the $400 range. Made for professional work. but thats how he rolls. everything is top notch stuff.
    Sweet deal for your bro, I was told threw the guy that got the deal that Team Dagger was contacted by Sportsmans Channel also about doin a 12 week program. I'm just happy meetin new people and gaining new knowledge/experience.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Maybe we can share some of our experiences later on.

I would enjoy that. Maybe we could do that over a few beers, next to the camp fire, during a late season doe killing frenzy on my farm! Let me know if you ever make it down this way and I'm sure we could set something up. That would be a hoot!

Good luck this season and with your new venture