In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Max range for crossbow

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I never even tried to shoot my Horton Crossbow any further than the 20 yards indicated by the first cross hairs of the scope, it is very accurate at that range. Yesterday, for fun and giggles I was shooting it at 60 yards and hitting every shot through the chest of a dummy deer. The scope has compensating cross hairs for 30-40-50 and 60 yards. I was really impressed with how deep the 125 grain practice tips went into the foam dummy.

Has anyone shot a deer at 60 yards? Did the broad head perform well? I use mechanical broad-heads that weigh 125 grains.

Thanks!
Bruce

Comments

• Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I helped my brother in law track a doe last year that he shot at 50 with his horton(51 on the range finder). He had very little penetration even though the shot wasy very well placed. It took a while for the cavity to fill with no exit hole and we only ended up finding her because we have hunted that ground for over 10 years now and know the bedding areas well. We simply went to the bedding areas and walked them, finding her in her bed expired. It may be possible to take a deer at 60 with a crossbow, but after seeing how little bolt was in that deer at 50, I would not advise it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My cross bow is a 200 pound pull. The practice arrows stick nine inches into the foam target. It is shooting right at 305FPS with the 125 grain tips. Are these numbers simular to what you saw?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know his is the same weight in pull, but I cannot tell you exactly how fast the bow is. I know that I shoot right around that 300 foot per second mark with my mathews (IBO speed is 310, but my arrows never hit that) and I would not ever attempt a shot over 35 anywhere other than the range. THere are guys who routinley take animals out to 50, but I am not one of them. I believe the bolt will have no trouble traveling that far and buying into a target to that degree, but the kinetic energy really drops out at those distances. The difference in foam and muscle, or even bone, is vast. If you were to ever take a shot at over 50 and hit anything but the space between the ribs I would have a tough time believing that you would get much penetration. I always assume that I may just mess up and bury an arrow into the shoulder blade. I have taken deer at 30 and punched right through the blade with muzzies and the rage heads I now shoot. There is no way that would happen at distances any farther than that.

The other thing to consider is if that 9 inches is with a practice tip or broadhead. If that is with a practice tip, you will reduce that penetration by half if you were to put blades on and take that same shot because of the extra power it takes to rip those blades through either foam or venison.

I would have to err on the side of caution and say that though you will get a little more range out of a crossbow than you would from a traditional bow, 60 really is pushing it to expecta quick humane kill.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    past 30 with a crossbow is unethical. Slightest breeze and you're done...bolt is too short to shoot that far!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anywhere out to 40, if you are in the open and have a nice clear shot, is fine with a crossbow if you practice enough and are confident at that range. Like I said before, I will not shoot over 35 under any circumstance, but that is by choice. There are many that would take an open 40 yard shot on plains game or elk or something of that sort. I hunt wooded areas where I rarely have any more than a 25 yard shot.
    The doe that my brother in law shot at 50 was recovered. It was not easy, and I would not recommend a shot that far, but we did recover the animal and it was a lethal shot. He has never taken one that far again, but they can be made and the game recovered.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tclear
    Anywhere out to 40, if you are in the open and have a nice clear shot, is fine with a crossbow if you practice enough and are confident at that range. Like I said before, I will not shoot over 35 under any circumstance, but that is by choice. There are many that would take an open 40 yard shot on plains game or elk or something of that sort. I hunt wooded areas where I rarely have any more than a 25 yard shot.
    The doe that my brother in law shot at 50 was recovered. It was not easy, and I would not recommend a shot that far, but we did recover the animal and it was a lethal shot. He has never taken one that far again, but they can be made and the game recovered.

I appreciate the words of wisdom and experience. Most of my deer hunting and shots have been at 12 to 20 yards in brush woods from a tree stand. The 10 point I got two years ago was at 12 yards. The bolt went through and stuck on an oak log about 2" deep! I was curious about long range shooting because a well used deer trail runs 58 yards from my new ground blind. There is no place to put a tree stand within 100 yards. I think I will wait until gun season and use a muzzle loader beyond 30 yards.

Starting tomorrow I will put my Summit Goliath in a tree close to the other deer trails and wait for one to saunter near me.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crossbows are alot noiser than compounds so when you get out to 40 yards it's easier for a deer to jump the string. My dad has killed a bunch between 10 and 30 but will not take a shot over that.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    in reading I hve done cross bows loose KE faster and are not as leathal out at farther yardage. 1 of my hunting buddies has a crossbow and he has lost more deer than I have shot at.