In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Novice buying a bow.

kaotikbluekaotikblue Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
I am going to buy a bow in the next few weeks, but I am not going to go deer hunting until next year. I am probably going to get a 70 lb. bow. What is the maximum distance on average to kill a deer with a 70 lb. bow.

Comments

• Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would depend on what you build your capabilities up to!? as far as the effective killing range of a 70lb bow?...cant help you there! Someone else here probably can tell you that.... I would never {personally} shoot beyond 40...I know my limits...[;)]
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-40 yards, no wind into a field. 10-20 in the woods.
  • Options
    gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an ALpine ARchery Silverado Match Grade bow that I am looking to sell, can't hunt this year so I am deciding to sell it. set up at 29 inch draw at 65lbs..email me if interested
  • Options
    Cocheta ManCocheta Man Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are accomplished bow hunters that humanely take deer at 50 yards. While I can easily admire the skill it takes to do that, I won't shoot at anything beyond 30 yards. It's too easy to make a bad shot and end up with with a deer that suffers for hours or days before it dies, or one with an arrow sticking out of a festering wound in its' ham. As I posted on another thread, one of the angriest anti-hunters I ever met was a woman who saw a buck limp across her yard with an arrow sticking out of its' tookus.

That can happen at any range, but it's likely to happen a lot more past 30.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not buy a 70lb bow unless I had plans of hunting elk, moose or large bears. My 70lb limbs are turned down to 62lbs, and I have had pass throughs on every deer taken.
    The lighter draw weight makes it easier to shoot, and more enjoyable to shoot too... at least in my opinion. Also the lighter draw weight will not change your effective range. Energy is not the limiting factor, it is the nut behind the grip that limits the range.
  • Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice from all here. I have hunted archery almost solely since 12, and would not possibly attempt a shot at an animal at over 40. Target shoots are another game and a lot of fun to attempt longer shots at the range, but I am a 25-30 in the woods, and 40 is pushing it in a field.
    As for the 70 pounds, I say go for it. I too have mine turned down below that for whitetail just for ease of pulling while up a tree and have never had problems with pentration, but if I want to take a trip out west for elk, all I have to do is turn up the limbs. Why not have the capability, even if you shoot a lighter weight at first.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tclear
    Good advice from all here. I have hunted archery almost solely since 12, and would not possibly attempt a shot at an animal at over 40. Target shoots are another game and a lot of fun to attempt longer shots at the range, but I am a 25-30 in the woods, and 40 is pushing it in a field.
    As for the 70 pounds, I say go for it. I too have mine turned down below that for whitetail just for ease of pulling while up a tree and have never had problems with pentration, but if I want to take a trip out west for elk, all I have to do is turn up the limbs. Why not have the capability, even if you shoot a lighter weight at first.

x2
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    tclear, how much does that affect tuning?
  • Options
    tcleartclear Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    tclear, how much does that affect tuning?

When I originally bought my mathews it was cranked all the way up (guy used the bow a year then went to a crossbow). I had a little trouble drawing on a doe straight under me. I had to draw in front of me and then point the bow down. Way too much movement. Thankfully she came in on her own and I didn't get busted.
    I took an allen wrench and turned the limbs down equally. I had to fine tune my sight as I only shoot one pin, but nothing else changed at all. I have shot it this way the last two years without a problem.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kaotikblue
    I am going to buy a bow in the next few weeks, but I am not going to go deer hunting until next year. I am probably going to get a 70 lb. bow. What is the maximum distance on average to kill a deer with a 70 lb. bow.

Go to an archery shop and have them check your draw length first. Then shoot a couple bows there and find a comfortable draw weight. During hunting you'll have on more clothes plus the cold will also affect your draw to be harder to pull. I shoot 70 all the time and don't back my hunting bow off at all. Advantage being I can shoot 1 pin out to 45 yards. Dis-advantage to some is what i've said before, cold affects your ability to draw heavier weight.
  • Options
    bigfoot_4bigfoot_4 Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, here goes my two cents. 1) Buy a bow with a draw weight that you can draw from any awkward position you may encounter.2) As far as for draw weight of 70 and then turning it down to 63. This is something I would say not to do. The bow will perform the best cranked up to the highest weight for that bow. A 50 to 60 pound should be shot at 60 and a 60 to 70 should be shot at 70 for the best performance. Another thing is a 50 to 60 pound bow will more than likely be able to hit around 63 to 65 pounds with the limbs cranked right down. And the same goes for the 70 pound bow ect..3) Now let talk performance!!!! Most bow hunters want a FAST & FLAT shooting bow. Let's think NEWTONS LAW!!! For every action there is a reaction!!! Fast bows mean lite arrows (at the lowest end of the spine chart) This turns into NOISE !!! Has great penetrating in close but looses it down range. Now take a heavier arrow it will not be as fast or flat but it will be much quieter coming off your bow. And the best part is the penetration!!! Great in close and still great down range. Think about this? Would you rather get hit by a ping pong ball at 100 FPS or a Baseball thrown at 85 FPS?
    So take it for what it is worth, after bow hunting for 40 years. My two cents is. Shoot a bow weight that you can draw from any position and one that the highest weight you want to shoot is close to the highest weight of the bow. And if you worried about penetration shoot arrows at the heavy end of the spine chart.
    Shoot Straight,
    Bigfoot[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:And the same goes for the 70 pound bow ect..

My 70 pounder tops out at 71. [;)] And NEVER crank a bow, you should always back it off 'about' a 1/4 turn [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HI BANG250 sorry for the misunderstanding.
    I did not say to shoot the bow with the limbs cranked down all the way. What I was trying to convey is that most bows will give you 2 to 5 pounds of draw weight above draw rating.What I did say is for best performance the bow should be shot at the upper weight of the draw for that bow. Example: 50 to 60 will perform best at 60 pounds, 60 to 70 would be 70 pounds,ect.
    I have been shooting Mathews and Hoyts for years. I buy 50 to 60 pound bows and shoot them at 63 (WITHOUT) the limbs cranked all the way down.At this time I have two Mathews Drenalin's. Both are 50 to 60 pound bows. one of them will crank up to 65 and the other will crank to 64 pounds. I know my scale is correct because I check it once a week. To do this I use a 50 pound Olympic barbell weight. I have not yet seen a bow scale hold zero for any length of time. I don't know why but I have been working on bows for 20 years now and this is one thing I would recommend to anyone who has a scale of there own. Easy to do just hang the plate on the scale and turn the adjustment screw. I hope this clears up what I was trying to say.

Shoot Straight [8D]
    Bigfoot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No need for sorries. Its all good. Not knowing if the person is new to a bow I just wanted to put that out there. How you like your Dren.? I got the SB XT when they came out and just love that one. although I miss the Q2 the XT is a great bow. Glad to see you gave up the Hoyt. [;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Bang,
    I love my Dren's, but I would have upgraded one of them to there new bow but I am still in PT after my surgery for a full tear on my left rotter cuff. Six and a half months into my recovery and it is so frustrating. Still can not lift my bow into the shooting position. It is going to be a real fire drill getting to draw on a buck. I can draw the bow just can't lift it. Anyway here's the deal, I have a deep nail pouch belted to my hip. And a Knight and Hail Steady Ready strapped to my left arm. I have the Steady ready in the pouch attached to my arm, now here comes a buck I want to shoot. I pick up my bow with my right hand and place it in my left hand that is already in the shooting position. Then hook up my release and try to get to draw. Quite the fire drill.. Hay, It beats sitting home...LOL..

I have scouted out a couple good bucks, Just need to have allot more than normal go my way to harvest them. We will see it opens here on the 1st of Oct.

As far as the Hoyts, They are a great bow also. There new one is a sizzler. With a brace height just a little shorter than the Dren. But they are way to heavy for me to even thinking about one at this point.
    Well good luck Wednesday if you get out.

Shoot Straight!
    Bigfoot

cid_BC15FD82-744F-457C-9E9C-66799AA.jpg

Picture001.jpg