In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wife had a heart breaker last night

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
My wife just started out this year bowhunting. She has not taken a deer ever before, or anything else with a bow. She is a good shot on the target line and 3D, but last night found out that does not help when there is a buck standing infront of you.

We have been hunting the local archery club property for the last 2 weeks. She had not had a shot yet, but I wanted a change. We left the stands for the ground blind. Just popped it up and sat, no brushing it in or anything.

I was convinced she was being too loud to see any deer, but at 5:45 I was proven wrong. A good 2 YO buck came in to the blind. She saw him at 20 yards, and at 10 he turned and faced toward us. Then proceded to walk within 4 yards of the blind when she let fly.

She had twisted as far to the right as she could, and had been holding at full draw for quite a while. She shot, and the buck just stood there. I was handing her another arrow when he walked off just a few yards and stood for 2 minutes looking back at the blind. This is still inside 10 yards, but she has no shot. Then he trotted back through, jumped a fence and ran up a hill.

She ended up shooting just under it. There was lots of hair on the ground, but the arrow was clean. Also I saw no visible wound on the animal. Too bad, but hey what a rush to be that close to a deer on the ground!

On a side note, I am now sold on the Ground Swat camo on the Dark Horse blind. He did not seem spooked at any time by the blind.

Comments

• tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    dang i hate it she missed buti bet shes hooked now [:D][:D]
    wish i could get my wife to just go [B)]

tell not to give up

taz
  • BBQGUYBBQGUY Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a memory you made. My wife will never forget her first turkey. She is trying to harvest her first bow buck. Our season opens on saturday and we will also be in a blind. Nothing but rain for the last three days, not real good for scouting. Tell her good luck, the other half of team #5 is routing for her. BBQGUY/BBQGAL