In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just shot a buck - tracking question

badhabithobbybadhabithobby Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
Shot a buck tonight and need some tracking advise. Here it goes - deer came in right under me and walked straight past my stand. I shot is at 12 yards with a muzzy 100 grn. and a carbon arrow. I have used the muzzys a long time but this is the first year with carbon arrows. The deer went down immediately and stood up. That when I noticed the arrow sticking out the right side, which is the side I shot at. The deer ran about 25 yards and was out of my view.

It was pooring rain and only 15 minutes of light left so I waited til dark. I went to where I last saw the deer and about 10 yards up was a large pool of blood and the shaft of the arrow, minus the broadhead. I dont know if the broadhead penetrated all the way through or not. The shaft had some brown hairs and a couple white hairs on it. The blood was dark red but difficult to follow due to rain. I went about 100 yards and found pools of blood every 30 yards with some drops in between.

I gave it up for the night and will try to pick it up tomorrow. Any suggestions for recovering the deer. It ran into a thick area that is only accessed by hands and knees so it wont be an easy track. I just want to recover the deer as I think it's down based on the amount of blood. Maybe I only clipped 1 lung? HELP

Comments

• Options
    huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All you can do is try to get some sleep and start looking in the morning. That's a tough angle, assuming it was quartered away from you. Good Luck, let us know.

Sal
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Don't know, with the dark blood maybe a liver shot. That might explain the white hairs. With the amount of blood your talking about he can't be too far.
    Good luck to you tomorrow.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    trackin in the rain or after a rain is tough and sometimes impossible. good luck. Give us an update when you can.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just finished - no luck, lost cause. No blood, everything was washed away. We went 4 wide and spread out and tried covering all areas. Guess I will just have to clean the gear and head back out tomorrow.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear it man. Better luck on your next hunt.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Bummer had it happen to me two weeks ago.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It probably happens to everybody, but hunting in a rain or predicted rain is just not wise. Think twice about hunting before a rain.
  • Options
    taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    It probably happens to everybody, but hunting in a rain or predicted rain is just not wise. Think twice about hunting before a rain.

I understand why alot of people don't but my biggest bowkill was in a pretty good rainstorm.
  • Options
    bigfoot_4bigfoot_4 Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try going back in a day or two and just sit and pay attention to what's going on in the area you last had blood for a couple hours.Once the coyotes or fox or maybe even a dog opens the deer up if it's dead and I think it is from what you described. The crows will start working the carcass and they make a ton of racket. And may just lead you to your deer. Meat will be worthless but you can get your horns. Good luck and give it a try. It has worked for me a few times. [;)]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    cover every square foot for 100 yards.

Never underestimate the hoof track on a large deer.

Ben
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    go back in a day or two if all else fails watch for crows and or buzz.
    I shot a doe that ran about 200 yards and could never find a blood trail but I kept going back and checking untill I saw a bunch of turkey buzz. fly up and it was her, the meat was bad but I felt I like I owed it to the deer to find her and make sure of the shot one thing I learned was that where I tought she would have ran being wounded was not where she went instead of the thick stuff she chose a grown up open field.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went back out this evening. Saw a lot of deer in the area and they don't seem bothered by all the foot traffic from yesterdays track. I will keep watching for the buzzards for those who suggested it. Thanks for the advise.