In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any help on antiquing a shotgun

trainman115trainman115 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
Hi I am looking for some help on how I can antique my 1878 stagecoach gun I am not sure how to do it I wish I could have boughten a coach gun already antiqued but could not find one for sale so I bought a new blued one hoping someone can either help me or tell me someone who can do it Thanks [;)]

Comments

• Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen a million guns that were inadvertantly "antiqued" through negelct and/or abuse....but I won't tell you how because they were pretty rough when brought back to life... I've never personally done one on purpose myself, but someone on here will have an answer or two to help you out!
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    loan it to a friend, mine allways come back looking like crap..........
  • Options
    trainman115trainman115 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys seems like no one has a clue on what I like to do I will try somewhere else but thanks anyway
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are chemicals available from companies such as Brownells and Midway. One product is Birchwood Caseys "Plum Brown Barrel Finish".
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, you do not define what you consider as "antiquing."
    Do you want dents and scratches in it or just to change the color to "look old." I can tell you this; you can "antique" a firearm by just letting it get wet and develope surface rust, then rub it out with fine steel wool. Obviously, protect the bores. The wood wil age also by getting wet.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave it outside for a while...
  • Options
    flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trainman, much depends on what you want the piece to look like when you're done. In real life, "antiquing" is the result of a lot of handling and some abuse . . . if all you want is a "worn" look, very fine sandpapers, wet or dry, 600 grit up to 2400 grit will give you that effect if you scour the gun where it would most likely have been worn through use.

I don't think it's a good idea to leave a piece outside, or purposely rust it . . . look up muzzleloader brown finishes instead. Good luck !
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trainman115
    Thanks Guys seems like no one has a clue on what I like to do I will try somewhere else but thanks anyway

Looks like trainman took a hike after waiting less than five hours for his question to be answered. Members who work second shift didn't even have time to get home, LOL.
  • Options
    flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I guess Trainman was highballin' through, and couldn't wait for a good answer. His loss. One of the coolest things about this forum is the things you can pick up from member posts.

Forgemonkey, many thanks for the link to that book. Looks like it's solid gold if you're interested in metalwork (and I am). Speaking of that, I noted the picture you posted in the general forum of that drawbar being forged in the railroad shops . . . and your reference to working in a blacksmith shop . . . care to give some details ? I've dabbled with hand-forging, and working metal, one of my interests.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Research "Browning"(not the man) for the method of antiquing old or new doubles.
    Browning used to be the final factory finish, not a patina from aging.
    Today's end result may differ as barrel steels have changed from twisted Damascus ribands of iron and steel or early low carbon twist steel to modern alloy harder steel barrels.
    An original formula for steel barrels is : 1.5 oz spirits of wine, 1.5 oz tincture of iron, 1.5 oz corrosive sublimate, 1.5 oz sweet spirits of niter, 1 oz copper sulphate, 3/4 oz strong nitric acid, 1 qt water.
    You'd have to determine today's definition of chemical names and their original concentrations i.e. molarity of the nitric acid.
    the process involves repeated rusting and wire brushing in controlled temp and humidity.
    Brownells and Dixie may have ready made browning solutions.