In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reduced load 30-30 for the kids and the ladies...

Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
and the guys get ticked off because I don't have two saddle guns. Fun to shoot through a '94 Wrangler..Bigloop lever, 16" bbl. Minimal kick and very accurate.
CCI primer - 22 gr. IMR4198 powder - 115 gr. L FPBB Beartooth bullet and a stout crimp.

What's yours?

Comments

• Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 grains of Trail Boss powder with a 170 gr lead bullet is a great plinking load. Good 100 yrd shooter & very low recoil.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I use a 170 grain cast bullet and a modest charge of Unique in the .30-30, in a pre-war Winchester 94. It's a great 50-yard can load, but could probably also be used on critters, as it's in the ballistic territory of the original .32-40 load.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    7 grains of Trail Boss powder with a 170 gr lead bullet is a great plinking load. Good 100 yrd shooter & very low recoil.

I second the Trail Boss and a cast lead bullet.
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Thanks for responding/sharing guys. I'm thinking less lead = less recoil. These are mouse phart loads suitable for someone who is new to shooting, they can always learn how to handle recoil after they learn the basics.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Trail Boss can go down to 6.5 grains with a 160 gr cast bullet.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked Unique under a cast boolit better than Trail Boss,seemed to burn better,did have a tad more recoil but still way down from factory fodder..not even close to it. great plinker round with either caliber.