In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Online Suppliers of Blackpowder Cartridges

Erwin0206Erwin0206 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
2 questions:
I have numerous pre-1899 revolvers in great shooting order that require blackpowder cartridges, but am just not interested in reloading myself.
1. What are the best online sources for true blackpowder cartridges? 2. Also, I note there are several suppliers who load for blackpowder revolvers, but do not clearly state whether the loads are true blackpowder or simply smokeless loaded to a very low pressure, i.e. 575 fps, etc. Are these rounds truly safe in an old revolver?

Comments

• Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buffalo Arms has probably the best selection of bp loaded ammunition. States their s uses Swiss brand powder. Swiss is acknowledged as being the "gold standard" of bp.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Bartman. Will give them a try.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    unfortunately Buffalo Arms doesn't offer 32 S&W Long. Any feedback on Ten X, which does? I note they describe their products as suitable for antique, and offer a "Black Powder substitute cartridge" rated at 646 fps.
  • Options
    flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To address the second part of your question, a "smokeless" load that generates no more pressure than a BP load should certainly be safe to fire in an antique that's in good enough shape to fire BP. Heck, I'm sure you can blow up an antique with BP and the wrong load as easily as you can with smokeless.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looked at the 10X, loaded with bp substitute. Should work. After firing, wash the brass in hot soapy water. May be possible to find a buyer to recoup part of the cost.

Clean the gun well after firing. I take my grips off, rinse in hot water. Run brush and patches through, and oil well. On of the biggest problems with the subs is if not cleaned well, can be more corrosive than real bp. Real bp cleans up very easily.