In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

black powder question

jim central mojim central mo Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
i bought a mixed batch of powder over the weekend,everything from fg to 4fg plus 4 lbs of cartridge powder.i don't shoot cartridges,i shoot muzzle loaders so i intend to shoot the cartridge powder in my muzzle loader.my question is,the granules appear to be coated.is that to help prevent corrosion of the cartridge?

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am no EXPERT, but I would check to make sure about the cartridge powder, to make sure it isn't some type of smokeless/substitute. My one main law has allways been if I am not sure, DON'T. You didn't say what type of powder though, goex, ect, you should state the type and I am sure someone with some knowledge will be along shortly with the correct and safe info..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it is goex by the way.i spoke to a friend who shoots bp cartridge and he said it falls somewhere between 2fg and 3fg.
  • Options
    flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While we're on this subject, I'd like to hear from "the experienced" as to the advantages or drawbacks of using ff or triple f powder to load cartridges. I was unaware that Goex offers a "cartridge grade" BP . . . ??

And while I'm at it, thanks again to everyone who posts on these forums. I have received so much help and good tips, I'm mighty grateful we have this means of sharing information. Thanks again !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i was told they no longer offer it.i suppose because it offered no advantage over 2f unless it had something to do with the coating which gives it a shiny appearance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    another question.has anyone ever weighed a can of powder?does it weigh one pound including the can?just curious,the guy i got this from said his dad filled the air space in each can to conserve space in his gun safe.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BP is always weighed by volume for shooting. However, I'm sure packaging is by weight.

I've never heard of 1F. 2F-4F is all I've seen.(RS,PS equiv)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1f is usually used for canon but works well in smooth bore flintlocks and shotguns
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "one pound" is the weight of ONLY the contents and does NOT include the weight of the container.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flyingcollie
    While we're on this subject, I'd like to hear from "the experienced" as to the advantages or drawbacks of using ff or triple f powder to load cartridges. I was unaware that Goex offers a "cartridge grade" BP . . . ??

And while I'm at it, thanks again to everyone who posts on these forums. I have received so much help and good tips, I'm mighty grateful we have this means of sharing information. Thanks again !!

If you are talking pistol caliber cartridges, I have used 2F and 3F and Goex Cartridge in the 44's and 45's and cannot discern any difference in a cowboy shooting format. They all ring steel.
    I have not "benched" them or chronographed to determine any difference, but I'm sure it would be minor. Accuracy would more likely be affected by the quality of the cast projectile.