In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help on BP Rifle for deer hunting

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
It looks like my part of the state will have a BP season,and since I'm new to BP,what is a good non-having to clean BP rifle?Like Plastic stocks and SST barrels

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    non having to clean????? there is no such black powder rifle, If you are going to shoot muzzleloaders you will have to clean them, part of life. I guess you could get the savage that uses smokeless powder, but to me this isn't muzzleloader hunting. To each their own.....

I think you need to suck it up, go buy some real black powder, a real muzzleloader, or flintlock, and then go and get DIRTY!!!!!!!!! enjoy life the way it used to be, the thrill of the hunt will be much more enjoyable, it will get frustrating at times, misfires, and just plain misses, but when you kill that first deer the old fashion way it will be much, much more enjoyable.

once the gov't gets all you're cartridge guns, this may be all you have left to hunt with.........[V][V]
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thompson Center Omega, Ive never seen one that was'nt accurate.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to go with an in-line muzzle loader, first check with your state regulations. And as was mentioned the Thompson Center Omega 50 is hard to beat. I've had mine for ten years and it works great.

Yes, clean up is a hassle, but if you use a BP substitute like Hodgdon 777 it is not so bad! That is my preferred powder, and it is available in pellets that make pretty fast reloading possible. They make all kinds of conical bullets that really do the job.

If you want to go more primitive, I'd say stick with something like a percussion cap Hawken. It is the way to go, but there are many choices.

Most people stick with .50 calibre, and I think that is the way to go.

Then you need to get out to the range and do some serious practicing. Have fun!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have killed deer with 5 different muzzleloaders that I own.

If you don't want to clean get the Savage. This is a great rifle, very accurate. Since you are shooting smokeless you can go without cleaning for a while. I haven't cleaned mine in 4 years.

The Savage hits so hard, it is phenomenal how good it is at killing deer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I did it! Bought a CVA 50 cal. Optima,breakdown model.Now,what do I do to shoot it? It doesn't have sights,but rings for s scope! ANy scope suggestions,as well as ball and powder?
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Well, I did it! Bought a CVA 50 cal. Optima,breakdown model.Now,what do I do to shoot it? It doesn't have sights,but rings for s scope! ANy scope suggestions,as well as ball and powder?

My CVA likes 295gr Power Belt Bullets Copper HP or Green Aero tip & 100gr 777 powder ,Win 209 primer.

I have a 6-14X44 Redfield on my ML. A 3-9X40 will do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

My CVA likes 295gr Power Belt Bullets Copper HP or Green Aero tip & 100gr 777 powder ,Win 209 primer.

I have a 6-14X44 Redfield on my ML. A 3-9X40 will do.
    ...and is this a composite bullet and powder? I want the simplest solution,thanks,Willie
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your gun is not designed for round ball. You have the Fancy Schmancy. The Super Duper.

Well, the all time Super Duper is the Savage that I recommended.

Those bullets that bambambam recommends are elongated slugs, copper jacketed, with a plastic skirt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here you go.

powerbelt.jpg

Drop 2 pellets, ram this puppy down, prime & shoot.[^]
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had more luck with ones called scorpion they are a black sabot with a jacketed bullet. You may a have to try several to see which yours shoot best. I could not get power belts to group out of my rifle. I can cloverleaf the scorpions, it is just trial and error till you find the right ones.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I have had more luck with ones called scorpion they are a black sabot with a jacketed bullet. You may a have to try several to see which yours shoot best. I could not get power belts to group out of my rifle. I can cloverleaf the scorpions, it is just trial and error till you find the right ones.

That's what I had to do. The T/C bullets would keyhole in my gun.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    Thompson Center Omega, Ive never seen one that was'nt accurate.

I have two of them. Best BP rifle I have ever owned. My remington 700 ML was a POS. The omega is your best bang for the buck.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went deer hunting with a .30 - '06 last year and I felt way over gunned. With scope and the works! I'm thinking pretty seriously about taking my muzzle loader this coming year.