In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

powder

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
Would yall use 2 f or 3 f in a navy arms rifle? I'll mostly only use it for demonstrations and not use bullets

Comments

• Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    has anyone tried the GOLD label, i think thats right, (sub. for BP)
    looks like it comes in sticks or cubes, do these crush when you seat the bullet
    any opinions on what powder to use would be help full.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    To me, with blanks, shouldn't matter. That being said, if under .54 caliber, I'd stick with 3F.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use FFF in all my muzzleloaders, rifle, pistol, and my flintlock for both the bullet charge and the primer pan. But I only use real black powder not the imitations, never had any real trouble at all.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I use FFF in all my muzzleloaders, rifle, pistol, and my flintlock for both the bullet charge and the primer pan. But I only use real black powder not the imitations, never had any real trouble at all.

I'll prime the pan on my Bess with 2F.
    My rifles tho, especially hunting, I'll use 4F. I have fired them with 3F and no worries.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

My rifles tho, especially hunting, I'll use 4F. I have fired them with 3F and no worries.

Isn't 3F & 4F for flintlock pans[?]

We have always used 2F in caplock rifles & inline rifles.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    quote:Originally posted by Chief Shaway

Isn't 3F & 4F for flintlock pans[?]

We have always used 2F in caplock rifles & inline rifles.

I was talking pan priming.
    I load my Bess with 2F, I also will, on occasion, prime with 2F on the Bess, depending on the situation.
    I load my rifles with 3F and prime with 4F.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use both 2f and 3f as the main charge in both my .44 Kentucky and in my .54 Hawken with absolutely no noticed difference in performance. YMMV on accuracy. But, as far as safety is concerned, NO PROBLEM. [:)]
  • Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the help.