In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Raccoon tail

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
I'm a Black Powder shooter on a bit of a limited budget. I like the idea of looking kinda era appropriate ... sort of a mountain man. So I found a road-kill raccoon and swiped his tail.

My question: What is the best way to clean/preserve this tail so I can put it on my hat?

Comments

• Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife just said why not google "drying raccoon tail" (she's the smart one! and the pretty one, too!). I worked: looks like I need to split it open, pull out tail bone, put on some salt or Borax to dry it down. Some one mentioned a tanning fluid as well. Guess I know where to start ... not to do it!
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    did you know that most commercially made Coonskin hats did NOT have a Raccoon tail ? most had a dyed Fox tail !! TRUE !!
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I am going to pay for tail, I want the genuine thing. [;)][:D]
    Nevada is a unique state. [:D]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I will say that when I first started out all I did was put the tip of the tail in salt. That dried out the end well. The semi rotting tail lasted bout 3 years. [:D]
    If you split the tail I'd suggest borax over salt.
    I'd stake it out so it doesn't shrink with the drying process.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Split the tail, salt, scrape, then wash it in Lysol(will kill bactieria that will make hair slip), rinse in clean water, then rub tan oil on the hide side.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Split the tail, salt, scrape, then wash it in Lysol(will kill bactieria that will make hair slip), rinse in clean water, then rub tan oil on the hide side.