In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pietta firearms.

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
I have several Pietta made revolvers.A 1858 Remington New Army and a 1851 Colt Navy.Are Pietta made firearms of good quality ? I am very happy with the workmenship and finish of them.I bought them appox 10 years ago and they remain unfired in their factory boxes with their paperwork.I also bought two extra cylinders for the Remington.I hear lots of talk about Uberti firearms and was just wondering how Pietta compares with Uberti ?

EvilDr235

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, take them out and shoot them. There is no real collectors value. As per quality, it depends there are lemons in everything you buy, fit and function I would say Uberti may have a slight edge but not enough to warrant buying one brand over the other. I would buy whichever I could get the better deal on.

Personally I prefer the remington over the old army, but that is also a personal preference, either would make smoke and a smile.......
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pietta has really improved their quality control in the last several years. There was a time - actually about the time that you bought yours - when their products were hit-or-miss as far as quality and reliability were concerned.

As hillbillie said; shoot them. They will never have much value as a collectable and you won't know what you have as far a quality goes until you try them. Good luck.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using a couple of Pietta 1873 repros in fast draw competition for about three years. No complaints. My wife uses a couple of Ubertis. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. To me, they are almost clones. I do notice the Uberti feels like the trigger guard is ever so slightly larger, letting your finger drop in on the trigger without fouling on the trigger guard as often. Other than that, I can find no real difference. Shoot them and have fun. [:D]
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Pietta and Pedersoli are very nice repro firearms!
    Have a look here! More to follow!
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=616852
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Pietta 1860 Colt. I like to shoot it. I have had a few springs break but you can easily obtain replacements online.
  • ignats555ignats555 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Uberti and Pietta BP revolvers and would have to say the overall quality of the Uberti pistols is better. However, both are great for shooting and, as previously mentioned, some springs will break, they are easily replaced. Do a search for BP parts and several suppliers will pop up. I've had to replace a couple springs and got good service from a couple of suppliers.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've been 'all-Uberti' (Cimarron's, Taylor's, and Beretta's) except for one Pietta 1861 Navy (as regards the Italian imports). The Pietta seems to be equal in quality to the Uberti's. The only reason for remaining essentially an Uberti-guy, for me, is for the interchangeability of parts (I have a stock of internals, and I don't want to start another inventory). BTW, I had a problem with Uberti bolt springs, which seemed to break a lot. I replaced them with Colt SAA bolt springs. The only one of these that I have ever broken is one that was in a Colt, but which had over 30,000 rounds through it(in 22 years of shooting it). But in the last two Cimarron's that I bought, I noticed that Uberti has gone to something closer to the Colt-design of bolt spring (no saw cut through to the screw hole), which spreads the stress over a wide area, rather than channeling it into a narrow area.