In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 BP lead ball size

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
What is the correct ball size for the above revolver?? I am giving one to a friend and I just cannot find my loading notes on it. I want to start him off right with the proper ball and powder. I usually shoot 25g FFFg. Does that sound right? Thanks much. Tom

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    off the top my head 454 sounds right, almost any 45 cal round ball if it is a bit large it will shave the ring as you seat it. 25-35 grains is about right depending on if you are using FFg or FFFg.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI HB, Thanks a bunch. Tom
  • Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a 44 caliber cap and ball revolver, usually a .451 ball is the correct size. The Ruger uses a .454 (if I remember correctly).
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DPHMIN
    For a 44 caliber cap and ball revolver, usually a .451 ball is the correct size. The Ruger uses a .454 (if I remember correctly).
    Ruger uses .457
  • Options
    DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by festus
    quote:Originally posted by DPHMIN
    Ruger uses .457
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load .451 in my Colt .44s. When loading up the cylinder it barely shaves off a sliver of lead the circumference.
  • Options
    ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally:

Piettas - .451
    Ubertis - .454
    Rugers - .457
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ken44-40
    Generally:

Piettas - .451
    Ubertis - .454
    Rugers - .457

Whenever I get a new BP revolver, I take the cylinder down to my local gun store and match it up with several sizes of lead balls. If the ball will ALMOST go in, indicating it will shear off a tiny ring when seated, that's the size I buy. No reason to get a larger size. It will just take that much more effort to seat the ball and will distort the round ball.