In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help for Armsport revolver

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
Hello All:

I won an auction for an Armsport 44 caliber black powder revolver. I need some help on the starting charge to use. I have a copy of a 50 caliber side lock rifle and I know what charge to use for it. But I am out of my element when it comes to this pistol.

Many thanks for your assistance in advance - AQH

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suggested loads I have seen run from 20-35 grains of fffG.

If you are new to ball and cap revolvers- the bullet should be slightly larger than the charge hole, so that when the bullet is seated, it shaves a small ring of lead from the bullet. Helps insure that flame of firing does not set off the next shot (chain fire- nasty word) Some shooters used a greased felt over-powder wad, some use grease over the loaded bullet. Pays your money, takes your pick, but you need to do one or the other.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks for the reply. I use a 5 grain FFFFg charge as the first part of the overall charge in my rifle followed by the the remaining FFg charge. Would this also work well in the pistol - remaining FFFg charge - to assure ignition under the adverse Florida conditions.

I have Swiss - Elephant - Schutzen & Goex powders - any suggestions as to which one to use?

Regards - AQH
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could- but with a sidelock rifle, flame is having to make a couple of turns to reach powder. With most b&c revolvers, straight ahead from nipple, ignition not a problem. At one time they made tinfoil cartridges for b&c revolvers- cup of thin tinfoil holding powder, crimped to rear of bullet. No need to tear cartridge- fire from cap would penetrate the foil. With bullet in one end, cap on the other, yer regular powder should do OK. But would not leave any BP gun loaded for LONG time (weeks)

And all of those are good powders- you would not go wrong with any of them. Here I can find GOEX- real BP gets hard to find. Pyrodex is harder to ignite.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    19 to 37 grains (max) and a round ball is listed in the Lyman Black Powder Handbook.
    28 grains FFFG and a round ball gives 800+ fps velocity. Make sure the ball fits TIGHT as stated. You can smear grease over the ball to seal the chamber. I have never had a chain fire using a TIGHT fitting ball without a wad or grease, but that is always a safe procedure. You should not need a fine primer charge.
    You would do well to get a black powder book or go to the library and make copies of pertinent information. Most revolvers take a .451 or .452 size ball. Remember, it has to shave lead and FIT TIGHT when you seat the ball.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Members All: Many thanks for your assistance. I will go to a couple of nearby sporting goods stores in the future to see if I can find round let bullets and felt wads.

As an aside I didn't find Pyrodex and especially Clean Shot to work well in my rifle.

Again Many Thanks: - AQH