In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

confused about the Lyman manuals

hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, decided to reload a bunch of 45-70s for my trapdoor and looking at both the 46th and 49th editions, it suddenly became strange.

Using the same bullet mold, the 46th edition shows a bullet weight of 366gr. and the 49th edition has it at 385gr.

It got even better when I looked at the starting load for IMR3031 which I have quite a bit of. The 46th edition shows a start to max as 30-39 grains with a Dacron filler and the 49th edition shows a start to max of 40-44.5 grains with no filler.

Then, when I looked at the pressure for the max charge, in each book, the older book shows 17,000 cup with the lighter charge and 15,800 with the larger charge in the new book.

What is a fella to believe?

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the definitive answer you could contact Lyman.

But, off the top of my head, the 46th Edition is 35 years old. Somewhere in the intro pages to the reloading data section they say to be aware manufactures of reloading components may change their formulas/specs which can of course affect pressure, velocity, etc.

Johnny