In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Inherited two black powder guns

boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
I inherited two thomson guns one is a 50 cal. Scout rifle and the other is a 54 cal. Hawkin rifle. Both guns are in very good condition. Barrels are very clean no rust or pits.What might these guns be worth. thanks for any help

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The demand for the traditional caplock rifles is lower- the in-line rifles and the 209 primer guns are in demand. Which is a shame because the Thompson/ Center rifles are DAMN good rifles.

Prices vary by region, but your best bet is to check CMPLETED auctions right here on GunBroker. Most I have sen locally are $200 or less for a modern caplock rifle.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree with br around here you almost have to give them away with the love affair with the new inlines. $100-200 if you could find the right person. If you can find someone in a state that still has authentic hunting/doesn't allow inlines you may get more.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are some t/c and muzzle loading pages on facebook,and thos folks rate the prices quite a bit higher than the folks here have, so far.

and I mean no offense by that,it's just the way it is.

if the serial no. had a K, it means it was a kit gun and might be worth a little less,but since these guns are not being made anymore, they still bring good price.s

imho the hawken is the prize,and the .54 is a bit rarer,it could bring 300.00 easy, maybe a a bit more.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hawkins are bringing $350-$450 here. The early CVA's are bringing that and more depending on the model. They droped for a while and like a lot of things no longer in production have gone up. Check the prices of the new ones in prodictuon.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $350- over $500 here in NM.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting a Hawken Percussion cap muzzle loader for over ten years ... great gun.

I have two T/C in-lines (an Omega 50 and a Pro-Hunter) both great hunting BP guns!
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TC's bring $130 - 175 at live auctions around here. I have a 54 cal New Englander I paid $130 for. Everybody wants the newest inline that can use a scope.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    I've been shooting a Hawken Percussion cap muzzle loader for over ten years ... great gun.

I have two T/C in-lines (an Omega 50 and a Pro-Hunter) both great hunting BP guns!

My favorite very accurate and consistent deer hunting BP gun is a 50 cal TC Hawken that I bought new in 1979, (think it was $125 and have the original receipt and owners manual) I've converted it too mag spark 209 primer, one piece TC scope base, using sabots and Hornady XTP/Mag pistol bullets and matching Hornady sabots. Very accurate and consistent. Have the original barrel 1:48 twist and I bought a Green Mountain 1:28 LRH barrel on sale from GM for $120 free shipping about 10 years ago (should have bought a dozen of those barrels) and both the green mountain and the orginal TC barrel are very accurate with my hunting loads.
    I have BP inlines, Ruger, Remington and a new Remington Ultimate that I play with, but the old TC Hawken with mag spark 209 conversion/scope is my go to rifle for deer hunting.