In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

51 sights

amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
Anyone have a method of adjusting those front sights?

I used a file to lap off small amounts from the right side until it started firing center. The best part was simply getting more of a point on that acorn.

Comments

• Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another method of adjusting the sights on a Colt-type revolver is to file the notch on the hammer. Using a triangular file, put pressure on the side of the notch corresponding to the way you want the groups to move. You can also deepen the notch and trim (carefully!) the hammer nose to counteract the Colt's tendancy to shoot high.
    If filing the front sight, file AGAIN on the side corresponding to the direction you want the group to go. Seems like the only fix available if this one doesn't do the trick would be to replace the front sight, maybe by dovetailing the top of the barrel and installing a sight you can drift for windage.
    For example, if your group is way left of ypur aiming point, filing the right side of the rear notch, and/or the right side of the front sight will move the POI to the right. Sounds counter-intuitive, don't it?
    Another possibility would be to take a center punch and ding the muzzle by the bore next to the side opposite of your desired POI direction. I did that once with a 2nd model Dragoon that shot WAY too high, punched the muzzle at the top of the bore and the POI did come down a bit. (This fix is recommended as a last resort only!)
  • Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surbat6
    Another method of adjusting the sights on a Colt-type revolver is to file the notch on the hammer. Using a triangular file, put pressure on the side of the notch corresponding to the way you want the groups to move. You can also deepen the notch and trim (carefully!) the hammer nose to counteract the Colt's tendancy to shoot high.
    If filing the front sight, file AGAIN on the side corresponding to the direction you want the group to go. Seems like the only fix available if this one doesn't do the trick would be to replace the front sight, maybe by dovetailing the top of the barrel and installing a sight you can drift for windage.
    For example, if your group is way left of ypur aiming point, filing the right side of the rear notch, and/or the right side of the front sight will move the POI to the right. Sounds counter-intuitive, don't it?
    Another possibility would be to take a center punch and ding the muzzle by the bore next to the side opposite of your desired POI direction. I did that once with a 2nd model Dragoon that shot WAY too high, punched the muzzle at the top of the bore and the POI did come down a bit. (This fix is recommended as a last resort only!)

I think I have the filing thing down. That's interesting about the dragoon shooting too high. Maybe that could remedy that 58 carbine.