In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Grips for the new model Ruger

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
I found a pair of new model Vaquero in 45 with 5 1/2 barrels and in stainless....YES! After months of searching and calling I finally found them. I took them out for a test run and found them very accurate, however I also found shooting dualest the "simulated hard rubber" grips, a fancy way of saying plastic grips, would dig into my middle finger. I know that I could just sand down this sharp point on the grips but I have learned that plastic grips just don't give me the type of control I want or need in a hand gun. Also the gun buck so much that no matter how much I death grip the gun it still slides in my hands. I could blame the plastic grips or it could be the ammo. Anyway I was wanting to know if any type of Colt grips will work or should I go for a Ruger grips? Also which type of material should I seek to give me the best grip? Thanks.

Knightrider

Comments

• Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I'm not mistaken, any grips made for the New Model Blackhawk should fit your Vaqueros. Colt's grip frames are significantly different from Ruger's.
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So can I find any Blackhawk grips that are Cowboy type?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, as long as they were made to fit the New model Blackhawk, the one with the transfer bar.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    i have both the Ruger New Vaquero ( ie new frame size, black rubber grips ) and the older Vaquero (discontinued frame size) the grips are not the same , I know this because I went to the trouble of taking the grips off(just before i wrote this ) 2 brand new guns and tring to switch them around ,. they don't fit , close but no go,

and since the discontinued Vaquero and the New Model Blackhawks are the same frame , grips from a NM Blackhawk won't fit either,

sorry but i can't help out on where to get the right grip
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OOPS! I forgot that Ruger had changed the Vaquero/Blackhawk yet again with the newest retro version. Sorry, the term "New Model", referring to a Blackhawk or Vaquero, registered as the transfer bar version, rather than the recently re-introduced Flat Tops.
    Remove your grips and look at the frame. If your NM Vaquero's frame is marked "XR3", it'll accept the earliest version of Ruger SA grips, or grips designed for the 50th Anniversary Flat Top Blackhawk. I understand that "XR3 RED" grips ("RED for "redesigned") can be trimmed to fit an XR3 frame also.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to www.lettgrips.com. These are the folks that make Ruger grips and they can make just about anything. Good luck,
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Go to www.lettgrips.com. These are the folks that make Ruger grips and they can make just about anything. Good luck,

Duckhunter is correct and Lett has a lot of grips for the "New Vaquero". Bear in mind that although the new grips are SIMILAR to the old XR-3's, they will NOT fit. The new grips are cut-out on the inside to accomodate the internal lock mechanism which was not on the old-style Vaquero. For this reason, old-style grips will not fit and Colt grips are out of the question.

I have a "New Vaquero" in stainless with 4 5/8" barrel. I wish I could have bought two of them because that barrel length is REALLY hard to find. I had some elkhorn grips made for it by Stan Marston of www.gunfighter928.com He does incredible work, including inlays, ivory, horn, etc. and the grips look fantastic on my Vaquero. He even does a "blind spot" on the outer grip so they look like one-piece grips. He polished them smooth for me (I didn't want bark) and they look like aged ivory.
  • Options
    Keno SlimKeno Slim Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are still looking for some great looking grips for the NMV check out www.klamathriverwoodworks.com Awesome stuff there and a great guy to deal with. He also makes grips for other SA revolvers too.[:)]