In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BP revolver guys???

BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
Who here has ever had a chain fire?

Comments

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not only have I never had a chain fire, I have strong doubts that anyone has. And I don't glob my guns up with Crisco or any other grease. I load them and fire them. It is my opinion that the powder is sealed off in front by the tight fitting ball, in back by correctly fitted caps. However, I don't believe it would be wise to leave a loaded round uncapped while firing one next to it..

I'll edit just to say this isn't my own idea, I've read it and heard it in several places, one by a man who purposely tried to cause a chain fire and leaving off a cap was the only way he was able to do it.
  • amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    Nope, none yet.

Had some damp loads once though, that when I fired the first one I thought it chain fired. It made this rapid "phhtt phhtt... " noise.
    It was just the pressure escaping out the side.
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    Never had a chain fire. Did see on demonstrated on a TV program but believe it was set up so they could get the shot for the program.

If your firearm is in good condition and you use the right size ball and make sure your caps are the correct size and seated and sealed, with clear nailpolish if necessary, you will never have a chain fire.
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never had a multiple discharge with a cap and ball revolver either. As previously stated, snug-fitting balls and caps are the best way to prevent chain fires. The purpose of the grease is to keep fouling soft, not to prevent a flash-over when using undersized balls.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'VE had a chainfire! Not the whole cylinder, just the chamber immediately clockwise to the barrel. It happened with an Italian Walker .44 and I (young & stupid) wasn't using any wad or grease.

Two chambers firing at once on a Whitneyville Walker will certainly wake you up. No damage at all to the revolver.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zinderbloc
    Well, I'VE had a chainfire! Not the whole cylinder, just the chamber immediately clockwise to the barrel. It happened with an Italian Walker .44 and I (young & stupid) wasn't using any wad or grease.

Two chambers firing at once on a Whitneyville Walker will certainly wake you up. No damage at all to the revolver.

I repeat, if your firearm is is good condition and you use the right size/diameter ball and a tight fitting cap it won't happen. There were extensive tests done to try to make a chain fire occur and it was found to be impossible until one of the three criteria above was violated.

I do not use wads or grease and use a tight cap, a ball that when forced into the chamber shaves off a thin ring of lead and have not had chain fire.
    edited November -1
    Its possible that information about chain comes from as far backas the war. In combat situations where people were in a hurry, I have read, soldiers would just pour powder down the barrel while spinning clyinders, then cramming balls in.

That would seem to set the stage for something like a chain fire to occur.
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    I've never had one w/ my 1860 Pietta .44, I use wonder wads and a .454 ball that I make sure has a continuous ring shaved off it when loaded.

As for tight fitting caps, I need to grind my nipples down to get them to seat. A spark getting around one reminds me of the original "magic bullet theory."

Never had one either, the battlefield scenario seems most likely.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the "Tales of the Gun" shows on the History Channel showed a chain fire occurring in a Pepperbox pistol. I'm not sure why a firing demonstration was being filmed but the camera caught the chain fire and it was pretty wild.

Maybe if everything is perfect, or close to it, it can't happen but obviously something can go wrong and the phenomenon can occur. When dealing with gunpowder and flame I don't discount any possiblity.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    When I was 18, I had a Navy Arms .44 blackpowder revolver, the very first time I fired it, five out of the six rounds went off. the only one that didnt was in the 6 o clock position. The one that would have contacted the frame . no telling what would have happened had it gone off. I used shortening religiously after that with no more chain fires
    edited November -1
    well... there ya go.
    edited November -1
    I stand by my statement above. Not possible if all three criteria are met.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by powdersmoke
    I stand by my statement above. Not possible if all three criteria are met.

I would say that you are probably right. Looks like saws when he was new didn't have the criteria down...
  • oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot them a lot more than I do now. I have heard of it happening, never seen or experienced it. The first .36 Navy I bought had this as a step in the loading process listed in the manual. I have to agree with most of what is said concerning the unlikely possibility. I also can not dispute that it has happened as stated here. My main comment is:
    If there is a remote possibility, then why not take the precaution and apply a little "grease" to the individual chambers? Afterall, safety is the watch word when dealing with any firearm. I was issued only two eyes, ten fingers and so many friends. I would hate to lose any of them because I did not utilize all safety measures available. My two cents.
    edited November -1
    I use wonder wads. I just sort of developed the habit. As far as I am concerned, use of those along with the apparent ring left over from seating a ball, makes me feel safe.

I have used bore butter on the wads, which I didn't need to do and stopped, and I also have used bore butter over the end but ended up trusting the wonder wads. Part of that is trying to keep costs down.
    edited November -1
    Another point to keep in mind is if you do grease the chambers after the second round fired it all melts out anyway.
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    I had a chain fire from my Ithaca sxs when I was a kid. Turns out my 2nd knuckle was a little big to be on the trigger while my index finger was on the first.

Never could get enough of it after that.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not had a chain fire personally but I have witnessed one up close and personal as an RO at a Cowboy Action Shoot. I was standing to the shooter's left with the timer and when he knelt down to shoot with his replica Le Mat revolver it fired two cylinders at once. One of the balls blew the ram rod or something off the side of the revolver while the other one went down the barrel as it was supposed to. The shooter tried to fire again it chain fired again. I stopped him from shooting as I did not feel safe, for me or him. I know he uses wonder wads between ball and powder so I can't explain it but I saw it, twice.

Bode
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i guess I am just lucky,I have fired thousands of rounds through my 1858 remingtons .I have never used anything between the ball and powder and never covered a ball with anything , I can not see a way for a spark to get behind the ball if it seats tight and cuts a ring when seated,and if a cap is over the nipple how is it possible to get a spark to fire,its sealed tight..I have used black powder,pyrodex and now use the new pistol pellots from pyrodex,they are great just drop one in and cover with a ball cap it and fire away,