In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

black power cartriges...

espo28espo28 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
If you decide to shoot black powder cartriges instead of the more conventional smokeless powder in say, a Vaquero .45, for cowboy shooting...do you need to take any special precautions when cleaning. In other words, do you have to clean it as you would a conventional black powder gun (ie: black powder solvents or hot water and soap)because of the increase in corrosion properties inherent in black powder? Maybe just use that Natural Lube 1000 suggested for black powder guns?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,

I always just used hot soapy water for my black powder guns. One thing you will notice from the .45 Colt and black powder is the blow back along the cartridge case. Makes em dirty so clean your brass also.

Bode
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent answer, Winston. I use VERY HOT water without soap for initial cleaning. After wiping off the excess, the residual heat completes the drying. Then I clean with regular solvent and finish with a good preservative oil.
    BTW, I regularly shoot a .44-40 Cattleman and repro 1873 SRC with BP cartridges.
  • Options
    AmmoRatAmmoRat Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I clean my blackpowder guns with hot soapy water. Get the water as hot as possible without scorching yourself and it will dry almost instantly from the gun. Then just run some patches through the barrel and cylinder and oil the gun down. I always go back a day or two later to check up on the gun and wipe it down again. If you missed a spot it will show up.
    Dont let the gun sit for very long or it will corrode overnight. If you go out shooting you need to clean it that night or you will see spots start to corrode.

Also dont forget about the brass cartridges. They will turn a nice shade of green if you dont clean those as well. For the cartridges I use an old plastic butter container and fill it about half full of water and a table spoon of vinegar. Leave then soak for an hour or so. This neutralizes the chemical reaction the blackpowder has with the brass.