In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

loading a pietta 1851 navy...

espo28espo28 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
OK, silly quesiton...I'm attempting to load and fire my first black powder charge in my 51 navy. Instructions say not to crush the powder - on the other hand you don't want a gap between the powder and the ball... but how do you know how far to seat the ball. If I were to extend the plunger all the way down the ball would be seated nearly half way down the cylinder, that strikes me as being too much.

How do you guys know how far to seat the ball? Just make a good guess?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by espo28
    OK, silly quesiton...I'm attempting to load and fire my first black powder charge in my 51 navy. Instructions say not to crush the powder - on the other hand you don't want a gap between the powder and the ball... but how do you know how far to seat the ball. If I were to extend the plunger all the way down the ball would be seated nearly half way down the cylinder, that strikes me as being too much.

Thanks,
    Mike

What I do is routine for me.

Put the powder in the chamber.
    Put a wonderwad over it.
    (At this point I sometimes seat the wad just to make sure its flat, and its just a matter of pushing it it a little.)
    Press the ball in till it doesn't want to go any further and just press it a little more.
    I try to do this evenly on all the cylinders.
    One of the things I look for is the loading lever to travel the same distance down every time. When it doesn't, I get that "double" bang sort of effect.

But you are supposed to compress the powder some.
    If you use 777 you might get erratic groups as some people say that that particular powder, acts strangely when compressed too much.

Just a good, firm, even, push on the loading lever is what is needed. Its sort of like torquing bolts.
  • Options
    espo28espo28 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amsptcds
    quote:Originally posted by espo28

Thanks,
    Mike

What I do is routine for me.

Put the powder in the chamber.
    Put a wonderwad over it.
    (At this point I sometimes seat the wad just to make sure its flat, and its just a matter of pushing it it a little.)
    Press the ball in till it doesn't want to go any further and just press it a little more.
    I try to do this evenly on all the cylinders.
    One of the things I look for is the loading lever to travel the same distance down every time. When it doesn't, I get that "double" bang sort of effect.

But you are supposed to compress the powder some.
    If you use 777 you might get erratic groups as some people say that that particular powder, acts strangely when compressed too much.

Just a good, firm, even, push on the loading lever is what is needed. Its sort of like torquing bolts.

Thanks for your response...makes sense, I just have to try it a few times I suppose. BTW, I questioned Cabela's on the wads (they include them in their "blackpowder starters kit") but make no mention of it in their online loading video. Apparently, their official stance is that the wads are unnecessary if you get a ring shaving of lead after seating the ball. This indicates a seal of the chamber and the wad is unnecessary.

What do you think? Couldn't hurt to have the wad in there anyway...

Mike
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the wad if you want...or don't. If you're shaving a ring of lead every time you seat a ball, the seal will be close enough to prevent a multiple discharge. I use grease over the ball, not to prevent a chain-fire, but to keep fouling soft. The OTHER preventive for multiple discharges in these revolvers is to use caps that fit snugly over the nipples.
    Compacting black powder a bit improves the burning efficiency, in C&B revolvers or BP cartridges.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You get a feel for it with practice. I want a firm yet uncrushing press.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    What you said about the ring is true. I just prefer to use a wonderwad. I feel safer. If I run out, I'll shoot without them, but I don't even wanna have a chain fire. I likes me fingers.

Saxonpig's got it down there.
  • Options
    smokinhydes1smokinhydes1 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use PPPG <pistol> Hodgdon <?>, no wad, and RAM IT HOME! With .375 balls I get a nice shave <wooo, watch how you say THAT > and use # 10 caps so they fit. You hear about chain-fire over and over again, but that occurs from the NIPPLE, not the open end of the chamber. I do put bore-butter or Crisco over the seated bullets, as one guy said "to make the fouling soft".[:D]