In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Identifying BP Revolver Makers???

yuma_dvcyuma_dvc Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Who made it - what parts fit?
I have several BP 1851 Navy revolvers that I would like to identify as to maker. Can anyone help if I list descriptions and markings? I need parts for one frame in particular and have not been able to find trigger/bolt screws and hammer screw... every one that I have ordered have been too large and/or wrong thread. This one is a brass .44 frame with no markings at all on the sides. On the bottom/front is a serial number A392 with AM in a square over top of the number. On each side is a proof mark - a shield with a circle with a star over it on the left and the letters PN with a "rossette" with a star over the letters. Uberti and Pietta screws are too large for the hammer and the bolt/trigger. Many Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yuma_dvc
    Who made it - what parts fit?
    I have several BP 1851 Navy revolvers that I would like to identify as to maker. Can anyone help if I list descriptions and markings? I need parts for one frame in particular and have not been able to find trigger/bolt screws and hammer screw... every one that I have ordered have been too large and/or wrong thread. This one is a brass .44 frame with no markings at all on the sides. On the bottom/front is a serial number A392 with AM in a square over top of the number. On each side is a proof mark - a shield with a circle with a star over it on the left and the letters PN with a "rossette" with a star over the letters. Uberti and Pietta screws are too large for the hammer and the bolt/trigger. Many Thanks for your help.

The AM in the square represents the year made, 1984.
    the PN and one other are the gardone marks. they are supposed to be on all the guns.
    A Pietta mark is usually a diamond with the letters FAP inside.
    The Uberti mark is supposed to represent a 51 barrel end (muzzle)with lans and grooves with a U in the middle.

Look under the loading lever. If the sides of the barrel are not clearly marked, the marks are usually under the lever,

SM is usually San Marco as in Armi San Marco.

Hope this helps.

That brass 44 frame is probably an old CVA and made by ASM. This sounds true especially if you have been purchasing Uberti and Pietta parts that won't fit it.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    "PN" means "Pulvero Negro" which is Italian for "Black Powder"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you both... that is a good start. I am sure that these questions are going to come up more and more as these guns age. A listof various makers and "interchangability" would be of great help - and would be an interesting project.
    Best regards
    Dick
  • Options
    smokinhydes1smokinhydes1 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Dick, I have an EIG which I'm taking apart for little pieces, if you find out that stuff is right let me know. smokinhydes1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LEE3370LEE3370 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy,
    I will try to help if I can. Here is a link to Blue Book telling about the markings on Italian blackpowder arms.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf

For ASM parts try:

Deer Creek Products
    6989 E Michigan Rd
    Waldron, IN 46182
    (765) 525-6181

They have no internet site or e-mail. So you have to call them. I did and they assured me that they have a good supply.
    Every thing I ordered came in correct.
    Good Luck,
    Lee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Lee... that is a big help. As far as I see there are 4 major manufacturers of BP Revolvers.

* Uberti - Sold by Navy Arms, EMF and others
    * Pietta - Sold by Navy Arms, EMF and others
    * Armi San Marco (ASM) - Supplied Parts for Colt Percussion Revolvers
    * Palmetto - Sold by Dixie Gun Works
    * Euroarms (Armi San Paolo - SRL)

If anyone can add other makers or supply information it would be appreciated.
    Also - if anyone knows what guns are/were sold by other sellers such as Cimmaron, Cabella's, Taylor's etc? It will help to compile a better list.
    Any info as to interchangability of parts.
    This gets more interesting as time goes on - thanks also to those who emailed me information and suggestions.