In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stir up the new forum :) Shoot traditional not

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
inline. :)

I shoot a precussion cap 50 cal Hawkin. Would not be caught in the field with an inline or scope on it.

Be that as it may. What do you shoot?

Comments

• Options
    yota1070yota1070 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the utmost regard for your opinion but.....I hunt w/Knight Master Hunter 50 inline w/Leupold M8. Deer drop where they were standing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate your opinion as well EhlerDave, but I've had to track too many deer with the "traditional" way that my hunting buddies insitst on. Call me crazy but I like to put an animal down and not make it suffer. Just my $.02
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Point well taken...he was using(and continues to use)round ball w/patch. It's almost become a yearly tradition of finding the one that "I think I got a good shot" on. As I get older I guess it bothers me more about making anything suffer...getting soft. [^]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Custom 50 Cal. full stock flinter and a Brown Bess.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Badwrench, NICE WOOD!!....on the gun!
  • Options
    RugerFordRugerFord Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I it doesn't bother me that people have and want in-lines, I see no point in them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I moved to Massachusetts three years ago, I knew that I would not be able to hunt with my trusty ol' Winchester Model 94AE in .356 calibre. Bummer, but ya gotta obey the law.[:p] So I decided to go primitive and got a T/C Omega 50 without a scope .... OK, it is not all that primitive, but now I'm going to get a Hopkins & Allen Under hammer percussion cap long gun ... now that is going more primitive ... next will be a bow (NOT![xx(]).

But - after obeying the law - I think it is all a matter of personal choice and taste and desire ... like someone has already said, the deer doesn't know what hit him. Just do the deed clean and safe![:)] That would be the only real ethical issue, if you were to ask me.
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in good ole Pa. we are dictated by the PGC to use a flintlock and for years I stayed away from them, but now that I'm retired and with a three week Flintlock season after christmas I finally aquired a Lyman Deer Stalker .50 cal. Flint and I'm sure glad I did! "Hunted" almost every day of the season and passed up many "shots" that would have been easy with a rifle with a scope, bipod, and quick reloading capability and concentrated on honing my skills as a hunter with mastery of my equiptment and my prey. I can honestly say that for the first time in a long time I enjoyed "hunting"! Too many people want instant gratification in every thing that they do. Hunting with a flintlock is a whole nuther ball game!
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage ML10II. The real question is "What motivates you to shoot a muzzleloader?"

For me it is strictly so that I can hunt deer a few more days a year. All guns are cool, but I've yet to develope a desire for a handicap. Who knows, maybe someday I will. And come on, as long as they load down the muzzle, why squabble over style?
  • Options
    chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a cheap cva bobcat. 50cal percusion cap will soon be looking into an inline for hunting.
  • Options
    yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use both. I have a CVA Hawkens percussion in .50 and a CVA Eclipse inline in .45 magnum with a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it all boils down to what you like. Personally, I shoot only traditional- have a custom Isaac Haines .54, .54 Jaeger, .32 and .50 Dixie Mtn rifles, 20 ga Trade gun, 1804 Harpers Ferry among others. All these are flinters, also have half a dozen flint pistols. In my opinion, shot placement is critical and I won't shoot unless I can get a good shot off at reasonable range. I haven't lost a deer (yet, knock on wood!) and I only shoot round ball. I'm going to try the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet and see how that works; will give me more grain weight. I hunt with my flinters during regular rifle season and can also use them in the extended BP season (Wis.) Emery
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine are traditional:
    A long rifle (39 inch octagon barrel), .54 flint.
    Another long rifle (42 inch swamped octagon barrel), .50 flint.
    A Repro Brown Bess, .75 smoothbore.
    An inexpensive .45 percussion full-stocked with a 36 inch oct. barrel
    A CVA Mountain Rifle .50 percussion.
    All are used with patched round balls.
    ...and a few more.
    If I want a modern-looking rifle, I want it to shoot ammo in modern cartridge cases.
    IMO, the real problem with deer wounded by hunters shooting round balls is due to one or more of the following:
    1. Lack of practice with resultant lack of familiarity with the gun and its loads
    2. Aiming at the animal instead of its kill zone
    And/or,
    3. Belief that a muzzleloader has the range and power of a .30-06 (see no. 1)
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started out with the T/C Hawkins,went to Knight,Now the Encore[:D]
    Just a set up each time.[;)]
  • Options
    oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surbat6
    Mine are traditional:
    A long rifle (39 inch octagon barrel), .54 flint.
    Another long rifle (42 inch swamped octagon barrel), .50 flint.
    A Repro Brown Bess, .75 smoothbore.
    An inexpensive .45 percussion full-stocked with a 36 inch oct. barrel
    A CVA Mountain Rifle .50 percussion.
    All are used with patched round balls.
    ...and a few more.
    If I want a modern-looking rifle, I want it to shoot ammo in modern cartridge cases.
    IMO, the real problem with deer wounded by hunters shooting round balls is due to one or more of the following:
    1. Lack of practice with resultant lack of familiarity with the gun and its loads
    2. Aiming at the animal instead of its kill zone
    And/or,
    3. Belief that a muzzleloader has the range and power of a .30-06 (see no. 1)

I agree with your opinion statement. I have used patched round ball for years and had great success. Practice, aim small-miss small, and know your limitations. that says most of it.

I have and shoot a Hawken style in .62 which was produced by Sharon. I also have a .54 Hawken by Sharon. Both in percussion. I also shoot a custom Pennsylvania .36 flinter. It's a tack driver if I can hold it.

I would not own an inline. Most places call it a Primitive Season. If I wanted modern, I would go modern. Most Muzzleloading seasons are the direct result of the Primitive shooters doing battle with their states to get such a season established. enough of my 2 cents for now.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that DEG305 has made a good point here: "I can honestly say that for the first time in a long time I enjoyed "hunting"! Too many people want instant gratification in every thing that they do." Yup, we ... make that I need to develop my skills ... not just get new fangled higher power stuff to poke holes in deer on the other side of the county![:D]

I may still use my in-line for hunting in the rain! [;)]
  • Options
    dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one gets fired on a pretty regular...and yes, it's an original.
    DSC03472.jpg

DSC03473.jpg

And this one goes out in the woods.
    DSC03594.jpg
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    No Inline / No scope for me. Never

Image13_Kentucky_Rifle.jpg
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerFord
    While I it doesn't bother me that people have and want in-lines, I see no point in them.

I'm thinking that the whole point was to enable modern rifle shooters a chance to hunt another week or two during ML season. More power to them but hats off to states like PA that offer "traditional muzzle loader season."

I've been watching a couple forums dedicated to ML's and have to wonder how practical it is to hunt with a weapon that requires so much work to develop a load when a round ball will hit where it's aimed from a slow twist sidelock. AZfter all, with either, you only have one shot.
  • Options
    egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion is that inlines are inlines and traditionals are muzzle loaders. I shoot and hunt with guns made by my grandfather. He was a lefty and so was I. The guns are beautiful and shoot fantastic, better than I do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow egatimra!! Dang beautiful bike there! Now that is traditional!!!!

I like my .50 cal. I have never wounded a deer and lost him with it shooting a round ball.

Know they limits and your weapon's limits. I think black powder hunting is like bow hunting. The skill is in the hunter.
  • Options
    egatimraegatimra Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately my bike doesn't look that good. It will someday but right now I have it in pieces cleaning and restoring.
  • Options
    EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some great looking guns here.
    Ok guys, so bash me because I own both trad and hunt with inline. I just can't begin to take my perfect wood un-scratched trad into the woods. I'm not a pretty hunter, I don't stand on an open hill whistling and drinking coffee. I'm down in the thick stuff, no cut trails to ease my way in so scratch the synthetic stock up... who cares thats what it's for.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I can remember when that bike was new! Thats scary!

Sig232
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by s.gun

No Inline / No scope for me. Never

Image13_Kentucky_Rifle.jpg

Question,what would you do if you coudn't see very good without a scope?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I put a set of fiber optic sights on for low light. I would rather break the traditional only rule than wound and lose a deer.
  • Options
    oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

Question,what would you do if you coudn't see very good without a scope?
    [/quote]

I would get a new set of glasses. I would practice my woodsmanship to get closer to my game. I would limit the distance of my shots. If you want to shoot over 75-100 yards then get a modern rifle and scope. I guess that is one of my problems with the inlines. Many nimrods beleave that because it looks and feels like a modern rifle, then it must perform like a modern rifle. Consequently shots are attempted which are beyond the capabilities of the rifle and shooter. Again, if inlines are what gets you to the woods then great. Just not for me!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whoa! Old friends. You said a mouthful that I agree with. Good post partn.

It is the hunt. Not the kill. That makes a hunter and not a killer.

I like it![;)]