In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackhawk 50th Anniversary Edition

WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been looking at cowboy pistols for a long time, but haven't bought one yet. I like what I hear about the New Model Vaqueros, but they are near impossible for me to come by in these parts. From what I can tell, the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk is nearly the same gun, and they seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap. Since I might like to get into CAS at some point in the near future, would this be a good choice? Or should I wait a while until the New Vaqueros are more available? Can you mix fixed and adjustable sight pistols in CAS events, or must you have matched pairs?

I have held a Taurus Gaucho and didn't like the feel of the narrow trigger. I like the Italian clones, but from what I hear you just can't beat the quality of a Ruger. I have been very satisfied with my other Ruger guns, so why change a good thing, right?

Appreciate your opinions,
Wolf

Comments

• Options
    Lee WebberLee Webber Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf, I don't know where you might live that would make revolvers for Cowboy Action Shooting hard to find. As long as you can get on this site, there is quite a large selection to choose from. I just bought a like new Vaquero in 45 Colt for only $402. I have two exactly alike now, an unfired Vaquero in 44-40, and several Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks in 45 Colt and 44 Mag. I too have been thinking about getting into CAS, I have all the necessary gear and guns, but just haven't taken the time. Ask around at some of your local gun shops, and you will probably meet up with someone who will invite you to a shoot. Ask them about the rules for handguns with sights, I know the rifles have to be in revolver calibers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice, Lee.

Cowboy guns are certainly available around my area, but I was speaking specifically of the New Model Ruger Vaquero. Of four gun shops I visited in the Reno, Nevada area, only one actually had a New Model Vaquero. They said that they maybe receive 1 or 2 per month from their distributor. The model they had was a 5.5 inch stainless in .45LC, not what I want. Another gun store even told me that the New Vaqueros had been discontinued. So these guns are hard to come by in Northern Nevada.

You are right that Gunbroker has a lot of them up for auction right now, but I like to personally get a hold of the exact model of gun I am looking for before I buy online. For example, those new Taurus Gauchos sounded great from what I read and looked nice, but when I held one in my hand I just didn't like it. I would hate to find that out about a gun that I already bought and paid for.

-Wolf
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    WoundedWolf not sure what you are looking for but I have a new model Vaquero , stainless steel , 7 1/2" in 45lc , that I could part with , still new in box , want to talk ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, but I'm looking for .357, probably 5.5" case colored finish. But I still think that 50th Anniversary Blackhawk is a nice gun. I may just pick up one of those in the meantime.

-Wolf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you're still looking for the 5 1/2" i know a shop that has one of each , price was $500, if you want I can post the phone number
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks gskyhawk, but I'm gonna shop around a bit until I decide exactly what I want. You know what they say, most of the enjoyment comes from the pursuit.

[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    10-4 good luck on the hunt !