In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

LACQUER THINNER

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
I found an old can of lacquer thinner and noticed that the lable indicated that it was good to clean guns. I had some black powder revolvers to clean so after the soap and water I sprayed them with the thinner. It worked very well. I could feel the alcohol soak up the water. They were dry and clean in seconds. I still used a hair dryer before oiling. Any one else used thinner. Do you know of any problems with it?

Comments

• Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bamavol
    I found an old can of lacquer thinner and noticed that the lable indicated that it was good to clean guns. I had some black powder revolvers to clean so after the soap and water I sprayed them with the thinner. It worked very well. I could feel the alcohol soak up the water. They were dry and clean in seconds. I still used a hair dryer before oiling. Any one else used thinner. Do you know of any problems with it?

I would think it ok to get the fouling out, but I wouldn't leave that as the final cleaning. You probably ought to clean it with the thinner first, then do a little more normal cleaning and use bore butter or natural lube, or a gun oil to finish the cleaning off.

But clean it after using the thinner so that it doesn't soak into the pores of the metal.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cleaned the guns the same as always except I used the thinner to remove the moisture quickly. If you hold the wet gun in your hand and spray it, you can feel the water vanish. The thinner is mostly methanol. It will not get in the pores. It evaporates very quickly and leaves no film. That is why I oil the gun ASAP.