In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gentlemen.. Attention Please

EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
OK, since ya'all got my bug going with the new forum I took the full bite. Thanks ya'all... now my wife is gonna see the bill.
I bought a (Pietta) 1858 New Army Police, .36-Caliber made for Cabela's. This was a previously owned but unfired gun. I got the box but no manual.
This gun is beautiful with the blued frame and brass trigger guard.

Is the recommended load for this gun 12 to 18 grains of FFF ?
Thanks

Comments

• surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd lean toward the 18 grain load, maybe a bit heavier. I generally load 19 to 21 grains in my .36's, with a .375 to .378 ball (depending on the actual chamber size. You may safely load as much black powder in your Pietta as will permit the ball to ram down flush with the face of the cylinder, though a maximum charge may not be your most accurate load.
  • reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't ask this but when I used to shoot a .36 navy i found #1 WESTERN buckshot with a patch from an old under shirt was a perfect and reasonable bullet. As for powder charge I really am not sure ,we're talking at least 30 yrs ago but 18 grs of FFF sounds about right
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Endless.

Welcome to the disease [}:)]

Tell your wife it is for a pistol to shoot for fun and not a mistress and you will be fine.[:D]
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Check out Numrich Arms for cartridge conversion cylinders