In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wrong Powder

KroozerKroozer Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
By mistake, I bought pistol powder instead of rifle powder. Can I use this stuff in my rifle? Under what conditions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What pistol powder did you get?
    What rifle powder did you want?
    What caliber rifle are you loading for?
    What conditions do you operate under?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bought FFF

Wanted FFFF

Shooting Lyman Hunter 54 cal.

Mostly dry conditions temps in 80's to 90's

Hunting wild bore at an averageof 150-200 pounds.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I don't use FFFF anywhere but a flintlock's pan and can't be of much help if you like it for a .54.
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either FFg or FFFg black powder should work in your rifle with appropriate charges. The FFF will burn faster (and some claim, cleaner), and kick harder with the same load. As previously stated, FFFFg is for priming flintlocks or very small-caliber pistols. The more "F's", the finer the powder.
    On the other hand if you were looking for PRIMING for a flintlock, FFFg should work just fine.
    How much FFFFg powder did you intend to drop down the barrel of that Lyman rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got the "Fs" messed up.

I have Hodgdon Triple Seven Powder in FFFG

I want to shoot 300 grain mini balls or better.

Would 90 grain charge be out of line?

What do you recc.

Forgive me for being a DS on this...
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tripple 7 is hotter than real black powder by 20%. 90 gr of 777 and thats by volume not weight ( be real sure about that ) is a very heavy load - 80 would be better for a hunting load and 65-70 for targets. Be sure you understand the diference between charge weight and charge volume when loading. Most all data is grains of BP by volume. Its only by actual weight , as we do all our smokless loads, if weighing is specifically specified. If in doubt at all go by volume. At least you won't blow yourself up that way