In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pietta Remington 1858 cylinder problem

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
Ok I have not touched this gun about five years. In this time it has collected dust and rust. Then last week I got interested in shooting the gun again and brought it out of storage and cleaned it up and broke it down farther than I had ever done before and clean as much of the crap and rust as I could. Feeling better about the job I had done I took it out and shot it. After a fun time of loading three times, about five min. for each 5 loads, I quit and started cleaning. I did as good of a job as last time and was oiling everything when I found the cylinder would spin in the other direction than what it originally did. Crap, was the first thought, then I got to playing with it and it would do this on and off with out any problems turning and locking the cylinder in the right place when brought to full cock. So what do you think, to fix or not to fix that is the question.
knightrider

Comments

• Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    maybe the bolt is still dirty or sticking in its slot. Take it apart and look it over again. Check the bolt/trigger spring and make sure it is depressing the bolt. Lube those parts, put it back together and try again.
  • Options
    LEE3370LEE3370 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also the cylinder should not spin backwards if the hand spring is holding the hand out against the cylinder. I would check the hand to make sure it is not binding at times and that the spring is OK. Take the cylinder out and cock the hammer. Push back on the hand and you should feel the spring push back against your finger. If it is hard to push back or is just floppy, with no spring tension, there is a problem with the hand.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bend or change the hand spring.
  • Options
    amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    Did you get that thing fixed?