In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BP shotgun

BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
Brass is too expensive but I have a source for low brass paper hulls. My instincts tell me that these will work but I can get high brass paper hulls for a couple bucks more a box. Which should I buy?

Comments

• surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the cheaper hulls, unless you're trying to load heavy charges, in which case the high brass will give you a bit more seal and strength. For moderate loads, though, the low brass should be perfectly satisfactory.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "Blckhrn"[:)]

If you are talking about Damascus barreled shotguns, and you decide to use "low-brass" shotshells --- it is an accident looking for a place to happen.

If you want to "bow" your back up and argue with me go ahead.

I have been standing behind black powder shotguns --- muzzle stuffers and cartridge for almost 60 years. Until you have my experience with Damascus barrels ---- to be brutally honest ---- you are NOT in my league, and I have the scars to prove it.

Unless you have access to "light-pipe", magnflux, and x-ray as I do you have no idea about the condition of the Damascus barrel.

Now if we are talking "fluid-steel" --- whole new ball game. But remember that you can't use plastic drop tubes and plastic hoppers for black powder. Static electricity and black powder DON'T mix.

Best Regards[:)]
    AdamsQuailHunter[:)]