In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

black powder by any other name...

espo28espo28 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
So, for percussion handguns, do you have a preference for:
1)real black powder
2)777
3)Pyrodex P
4)you name it

and why is this your favorite...I'm probably going to start with the Pyrodex since I believe it causes the least fouling...at least that's what I was told...however, no body in my area stocks the "P", or anything else I could use for a 36 caliber Navy. Have to wait for it to be ordered, damn...

Comments

• amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    I've been using 777 lately. Its a little easier to clean up. I haven't tried real bp yet, but have some fixins here to make my own eventually.

I used pyrodex before. Pretty dirty stuff, but shoots consistently.
    I have heard complaints about 777, but haven't experienced any problems yet.

I don't have a chronograph yet, so I won't be able to give you any good data.
  • AmmoRatAmmoRat Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a lot of blackpowder substitutes in blackpowder cartridge rifles and cap and ball revolvers and have gone mainly to triple 7 and American Pioneer.

Pyrodex P is almost as dirty as real blackpowder and fouls just as bad. I hardly ever use it anymore.

American Pioneer and Triple 7 are probably the cleanest blackpowder substitutes I have shot. You can shoot all day and not have to worry about fouling. The only problem is they don't produce the big smoke cloud that backpowder or Pyrodex has. Sometime I like having the big smoke cloud so I will go with the real blackpowder. I guess it is kind of nostalgic to have the big smoke cloud on those old guns.

If you are planning on shooting alot without having to swab out the barrel and cylinder every few rounds go with the Triple 7 or American Pioneer pistol powder. If you like the nostalgic effect of shooting an old cap and ball pistol and don't mind the cleaning nothing beats the affects you get from real blackpowder.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lkie both Pyrodex P and triple 7 about the same ... seems like Pyrodex cleans up a tad better for me.
  • oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot a lot. Generally 40-50 pound per year. Went to a lot of shoots and rendezvous (Pre-1840 re-enactments). I hardly shoot my smoke poles much any more or my pistols either. I have never shot, not even tried, any of the new fangled replacements, to include pyrodex. All I have ever shot was GOEX (did try a couple of pounds of home made stuff once but it was not consistant.) I can't imagine popping a cap or striking a flint on anything else. The smell, the white cloud, the smell when cleaning. How could one live with out this? How can one claim to be "muzzleloading" with modern influenced guns and makin's? I guess, to each his own. I guess that is what is great about our country, for now anyway, we can all have and voice our different opinions and agree to disagree if need be.
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I have some Pyrodex and American Pioneer, I have never shot any. I have had the Pyrodex for over 15 years! I bought the stuff to try on a whim but never got around to use it. Straight black powder IS muzzleloading in my opinion. Emery
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black powder all the way.
    IMO, most BP shooters make too big a deal out of cleaning. For the most part, VERY HOT water, a little cleaning solvent and a good-quality rust preventive oil will give perfectly satisfactory cleaning and protection.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ladies & Gentlemen[:)]

If you have not tried "Black Mag 3", I certainly suggest you do. Expensive as all get out -- $30 a pound. Also it has a "habit" of "cakeing" up in the container.

I use a big rubber hammer and beat the snot out of it. After that, all I have to do is shake the container one in a while to keep it from "caking". I find that the advantage is that after shooting, and I don't have the opportunity to clean it for 2 - 3 days ---- things are still OK.

Plenty of boiling hot water and Simple Green. Rinse out a couple of times with boiling water and lube the firearm down properly.

When I know that I will be able to clean immediately after a shooting session then the name of the game is black powered. Swiss first,
    Elephant second, and Goex if nothing else is available.

Best of Regards[:)]
    AdamsQuailHunter[:)]
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Says it right on the guns "Black Powder Only" because that's the way it's suposed to be!