In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Some advice please...

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
I have been kicking around for awhile getting a black powder rifle, nothing fancy; but a good quality one. I don't mind if it is used, as long as it is in good shape, and has not been abused.
I wont be hunting with it, just plinking and enjoying the click, boom...and smoke!

I know more about building a nuke than I do a black powder gun.
I like the ones that fire with the shotgun primer?...is there a better "igniter"? The bigger the better, ie; 50 cal, is that the biggest? Is it possible to buy a new/used one in good condition in the $150 range?...give or take a little?

Other than the obvious of a rusted crusted bore, is there anything ELSE I should be on the look out for?

Some brand dropping...would be appreciated too...[;)]

Much appreciated...in advance! Thanks guys...[8D]

OH!I'm capable, and not against a kit, but would prefer one ready to shoot.

GUN.jpg

ani-texas-flag.gif

Comments

• surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For an in-line that uses 209 primers, you might look at the Thompson/Center Omega .50 or the Knight Vision which is available in .50 or .52.
    If you'd like a traditional muzzleloader, a very good choice is the Lyman Great Plains rifle, available in flint or percussion, in .50 or .54 caliber. The Great Plains Rifle is rifled for round ball, but there's an optional version with a faster twist to handle conical bullets.
    BTW, some local BP shooters did a side-by-side test of traditional side lock rifles vs the in-lines and found the side locks were just as accurate as the modern-looking muzzleloaders.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would check the racks in the gunstores if you want a traditional muzzle loader. I see a lot of them at good prices. All the hunters have gone to the inline models and the older guns are not in demand. I picked up a 54 Cal Thompson Center that needed a barrel wedge and the triggers adjusted for $40. I also got a left handed Thompson Center New Englander 50 cal for a $100. Find a dealer that has several gathering dust in their racks and make them an offer.
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you decide on a sidelock gun,T/C is the way to go.All others are wannabees pretty much.I bought a used Traditions,and now wish I'd saved a bit more money and bought a T/C brand gun.They just seem to do it right.
    Of cours,after I got antsy and bought this one,the T/C's were popping up like weeds.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a modern in-line, I think they all use the 209 shotgun primers, ... look for the Thompson/Center Omega 50! They can't be beat and the T/C people are the best.

I've had a T/C Omega 50 for three years, and it is one sweet shooting gun. It is pretty easy to clean up, too. The only problem is that it just doesn't look like a gun! (Mine is SS and camo!) I'm right now getting ready to buy a Hopkins & Allen Underhammer kit gun ... kind of going with the flow into more primitive firearms. I think it is going to be a fun thing to do.

I'm thinking after a few years into it that you've got to like messing around to really enjoy Black Powder! The BP crowd is GREAT, too!

No regrets about my T/C Omega 50, but the mystique of wood, blue steel, lead and smoke is getting to me![^][^][^]