In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

INFO. needed on Reloading .44

partsmanpartsman Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
[:)]If I want to shoot my OLD H&R American .44, it looks like I'm going to have to reload, "cut down" .44 special cases, with BP and rn 200 gr. bullets. Does any one know of a loading book that gives information on reloading or remaking a .44 Webley/.44 Bulldog round. Anybody go any "pet" loads I can use. Thanks[:D]

Comments

• Options
    Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If my reference is correct, that firearm is chambered in 44S&W caliber. Unfortunately it doesn't say whether that is S&W Russian or S&W Special. Since the Russian is the shorter and lower powered of the two and it will chamber in the Special chamber, I suggest you look into that cartridge. Black Hills loads it or the brass is available from Starline. Load data is gradually becoming available as this caliber gains popularity and the 9th Edition Cartridges of the World lists 3.6 grains of Bullseye under a 246 grain bullet at 700 fps. (Page 281.)

Hope that helps, partsman!

[:D]
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blackpowder loading is easy. Just use enough 2F to fill the case to 1/4 inch from the top and seat the bullet on it. Use 3F if you want more oomph. A soft lead bullet with BP compatible lube is nessesary for reducing powder fouling. The Big LubeT Mav-Dutchman 44 bullet is the best thing out there.
  • Options
    Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I just checked another couple references...one suggests that some of the H&Rs were chambered in 44 S&W American, another says an H&R (no model given) was chambered in 44 Webley, and a 1933 Winchester Ammo catalog lists the 44 Bull Dog for "Webley, British Bull Dog, and H&R revolvers"! To give you an idea of how these cartridges compare:

Cartridge/Bul. Dia./Case Length/Rim Dia./OA Length
    44 S&W Amer./ .434/ .91/ .506/ 1.44
    44 S&W Russ./ .429/ .97/ .515/ 1.43
    44 Webley/ .436/ .69/ .503/ 1.10
    44 Bull Dog/ .440/ .57/ .503/ .95

If you check your chamber dimensions, you can probably acertain which cartridge your revolver is chambered for.

Hope this helps.[:D]