In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oh, rats ... I just put my muzzle loader questions

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
Oh, rats ... I just put my muzzle loader questions on the general topic.

I am going to build a muzzle loader kit gun ... what is the best sight configuration? Is a peep sight for target shooting or hunting? [?]

What is the best calibre for target shooting? .50 calibre? or .45 calibre or .36 calibre? [?]

Should the rear sight be mounting midway up the barrel or as far back as possible? [?]

Comments

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi. See if you can find an artical on the billingherst rifle. These were long range ML rifles. I can't find my references on it. Moved to many times in the last 40 yrs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The correct spelling is Billinghurst rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Andersk, go to yahoo and type in pacific rifle company zephyr. This should be some help. When I get my book back, I will send you a copy of how to build a underhammer billinghurst type target long range rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe I have thrown the subject off a bit ... my target shooting and BP Shoots at the club are really not the super long range type of thing. Usually we shoot 50 yards or less! But I am still interested in thoughts about the best sight type and arrangement. Thanks.[:)]
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of what follows applies mainly to traditional sidelock muzzleloaders.
    Your club may have separate shoots for different types of sights (traditional, open, or aperture for example), or they may not permit certain types. It's probably best to ask. For 50 yard shooting, properly adjusted fixed open sights are most likely more than adequate. For a little accuracy edge, an aperture (peep) sight will suffice. Either will do fine for hunting, if game laws permit.
    The peep rear sight should be close to your eye. The open rear should be farther down the barrel for best results.
    Experiment with different loads of powder, different powder brands and granulation, patch thickness and lubes to find a combination that's accurate in your rifle and adjust or modify your sights to coincide with the point of impact. Remember, moderate loads are usually the most accurate. If you shoot patched round balls, the rifling must be a slow twist for best accuracy (usually slower than 1-in-48). Maxi Balls or other conicals require a faster twist to stabilize.
    The rest is learning to shoot a flintlock or percussion rifle. Both have slightly longer ignition times than modern cartridge firearms, so you have to follow through after squeezing the trigger.
    .45 caliber has a reputation for accuracy and has mild recoil, but .50 and .54 will do just fine if you prefer slinging bigger chunks of lead (I have rifles in all three calibers and they all shoot well).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to you, surbat6, that is some VERY helpful information. Mega-thanks

My first BP gun was/is a T/C Omega 50, and it is a sweet shooter, but in Stainless Steel and Camo it just doesn't look like a gun! I got the gun before I moved here to Massachusetts, since I wanted to hunt ... and rifle hunting in this state is a no no!

Most of the folks in the BP crowd at our local club are more into the more primitive type of guns, and I'm wanting to join (not "whomp up on them all the time" with my very accurate T/C Omega 50 ... when I use conicals. I have used round ball in it, but as you say it is kind of irratic with round ball because the twist is too fast)

We can use any open sight ... I'm just trying to decide which way to go before ordering my kit gun. (I am going with the underhammer since I shoot left-handed and don't enjoy all the stuff going on in front of my face and on my right wrist when I've shot other folk's sidelocks. I guess I could go with the furniture on the LHS, but that just seems real wierd ... plus, I'm kind of caught by the design and the look of the Hopkins and Allen Underhammer percussion cap BP gun.) [:D][:D]
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you've decided on an underhammer (they have a comparatively fast lock time, too), and the club doesn't have restrictions on sights, I'd recommend an aperture sight mounted at the rear of the barrel or on the tang. A peep sight just looks right on an underhammer!